Help! Should I build my life here or start fresh in California?

I need some serious life advice that can change my life for better or worse. I'm 25 years old, and need help considering my life options.

Right now, I live in a Canadian city. I am very comfortable, with my own condo, a nice car and a good paying job. I have thought about leaving my job multiple times so it’s not a big part of this equation. My family lives 30 minutes away which is very convenient and gives me a support system. For about 4 months I go through pretty bad depression because of the weather. I imagine I can be married and start a family in a few years living here, with ease. The winter will always bother me, and there is no city in Canada I like that can escape the weather.

I am considering leaving Canada to go live in California to do an MBA. The main reason I chose California is the weather is amazing, and I have some relatives there so I won’t be completely alone. After doing this MBA, I’ll be 27 years old and then will start life fresh from there. I should be able to get a good job, but nothing is promised with only Canadian work experience. This could be very difficult and I would leave everything I have built here in Canada for the prospect of a better life. I would have to rent out my condo and put all my things in storage if i was to go.

Should I go to California or remain where I am? 

You are making this a much bigger issue than it needs to be and missing a lot of important steps.  The questions you need to answer right now are:

1. Do I want to get an MBA or not?

2. Can I get into and pay for an MBA program at a university in southern California?

3.  What do I need to do (apply, take the GMAT, etc.) to a get accepted into an MBA program and what are the deadlines for doing so?

That's it. You don't have to decide about where you're going to live or work beyond that.  A hundred things could happen that will change your perspective along the way.

As other's have pointed out, you can't just move to the U.S.  You either have to apply for a student visa based on your acceptance into a university or apply for a work visa based on gaining employment.  

• DON W

Very good advice.  Many people over-think these things rather than taking them one step at a time.

• DON W

If you are a Canadian citizen, you can't just move permanently to the US and get a job--you need the correct visas.  It shouldn't be all that hard to get a student visa, but a work visa is another matter.  If you don't watch the US news very much, you probably haven't noticed that our current president is very much trying to limit the number of immigrants.

Not all weather in California is "amazing".

As Mark Twain is attributed as saying "the coldest winter I ever experienced was a summer in San Francisco".

Earning your MBA in the USA, does not allow you to stay and work in the states after you graduate.

You couldn't pay me to live in California, but what I would do is irrelevant to the situation.

What is your plan regarding visa or green card? 

Cost of living in CAL is way high.  You might try a happy light if you have not already....

https://www.prevention.com/health/mental-health/a2...