Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

Is it just me or is this the dumbest thing ever?

My mom who could never stay in one spot because she always claimed "bad energy" (truthfully, no offense to my mom, she is the bad energy) bought a house 4 years ago. She said the house is ruining her credit and chakras..So, she decided about 3 weeks ago to sell the house. She sold it one week ago now me(19), and my brother(17) and her have to find a place to live by March 3rd. I'm just upset that sold she sold the house, while we're still living there! She didn't even start looking for apartments until 2 days ago. We don't have boxes to pack our stuff, we don't have a place to put our stuff, I was saving for a car now she's talking about moving 45mins away from my job..I'm sorry, but am I right to be annoyed? Or am I overreacting?

Your mother is the irresponsible party here. And your brother, who is still a minor, cannot "find your mother" a place to live--because he can't enter into a legal contract with anyone. You are unfortunately still living with her, so you're a bit stuck--but you're a legal adult and can leave anytime. I feel bad for your brother--but your mom is legally responsible for him until he is 18--and she can't put him out on the street without consequences from Child Protective Services. 

She can sell her own property, without your permission--but she can't abandon her child, even though he's 17. Call CPS and tell them what is happening--you are not the one who should be financially responsible for you OR your brother's well-being during the house sale. And then get the hell out of there. You're in no way over reacting to anything here. You're probably just frustrated and angry, and you have every right to be that. Let your mom find her own place to live. That's not your job. 

You have every right to be annoyed.  More than annoyed - downright angry.  There is no reason in the world why she could not tell the buyers that she needed 60 days - wanted a 60 days closing date, which would have given you two months.  Tell her the number of boxes you need to pack your stuff and ask her to bring them home, along with packing tape, the next time she is out.  There's no reason why you cannot continue to save for a car.  Meanwhile, take the bus to work.

Not really sure what good being right does you in this case. You are moving so get going and go get some boxes and pack up your stuff and help find a place and whatever else. Go ahead and complain to mom when you can but you probably dont have time for that right now.

You have a right to be annoyed but are also overreacting.  It is not your house = you get no say in the matter.  You are an adult now. You don't like the housing choices your mother is making then rent your own place.  Look for a room to rent or something so you can remain living closer to your job. If you can't afford it then get a better job or a 2nd job.

FYI MOST houses are sold while you still live there. Most people don't have the money to move before the house is sold. 

• Ryan2 months agoReport

You normally look for a house before selling the one you live in.

• Eva

She would have had to sell the house while you were still living there because she can't afford rent AND a mortgage payment. The only reason the house would be ruining her credit is that she is late on mortgage payments. Start accumulating boxes and start packing instead of whining. It's a good time to clean out your stuff and sell anything you don't need or want. If you don't like what she does, find another place to live. I'm guessing you're not in a position to do that, so you're also not in a position to judge what she does.

She caused the problem, she can fix it.

You can be annoyed but at 19 you can move out and live your own life.

You have a right to be annoyed

• humpty

Start saving for your own place and let your mother ruin her own life.