Is blocking off a chimney a code violation?

Part of my roof needs replacing from water damage. An addition was put on the house in 1996. Where the two roofs join is where the source of the problem is because apparently it was done improperly. The chimney runs between the old and new walls. The contractor suggested since I don’t use the fireplace that it would be cheaper just to block off the chimney and roof over it. But.. wouldn’t this be a code violation? What would be the correct way to do this. I like in Virginia by the way.

** live in Virginia. 

I had an open chimney where water came in through the hole. I bought a large concrete slab and put that over the hole. Job done. 

It is too heavy to blow off and it is not a structural change. 

Assuming that you don't have anything else venting out the chimney (like a gas furnace or water heater), it shouldn't be an issue. You would likely need to disclose that the fireplace is unusable in any future sale of the home.

If you blocked off the fireplace inside also so it could never be used then there is no problem. But you may still need to get a permit and an inspection for code enforcement.