Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

I'm scared of my roommate's cat. How can I make her like me?

At first I wasn't scared of the cat. It looks cute and likes to circle me when I'm in the kitchen. But one day, it hissed at me while I was minding my own business and it pounced on my leg, scratched me, then ran off. Another time I was walking to my room and it quickly ran at me and bit me again. I've brought the news to my roommate but there really isn't too much I can do, and I actually want to cat to like me. Now I walk around with a whiteboard to keep the cat from coming close to me because I'm scared it'll attack me again. I think this makes the cat mad though because sometimes it growls and would keep trying to get close to me and arches her back when I prevent her from getting close. I used to stare and make eye contact with the cat a lot, and maybe that's one reason why she doesn't like me according to what I read online. What are some tips to get the cat to stop attacking me and like me? Give it treats? Should I stop using my whiteboard to keep it away? Because she seems like she gets mad when I do. Should I pet her? I want to pet her but I'm scared she'll bite my fingers off.

Revert that energy to something positive. Get a toy and sit down on the floor so you don't appear too big (can make cats feel intimidated). Make praising noises while they play. If the cat comes up to you, don't move. Let the cat sniff you, then get up and leave. Contrary to belief, getting the cat to play with you will tire them out so they have no energy left. It can also be a bonding experience so they get used to you being around. They need to get used to your scent.

After you leave, leave the cat alone. If you're in the kitchen and the cat comes up to you, put your hand down and let the cat come to YOU. Let them sniff you again, then remove your hand and walk away. Play with the cat twice a day if possible, if not at LEAST once a day. After a few days, they should be okay enough to pet.

I would suggest looking up cat warning signs. This can tell you when to leave and back away, not to engage. Dilated eyes, cat tail flick etc. Learn cat body language so when you AREN'T playing with him, you know when it's okay to approach, or when you need to leave.

cats see you as an enemy if you don't introduce it. spend time with it, and give it more treats and praise and love

First, you're not scared. You are afraid. Second, If it attacks you, smack it. No, don't try to pet it. Ignore it.

• patty

when I want cats to like me I scratch there back, they love it.

When I was leaving for work this morning I hit a cat, broke my baseball bat in two that did.

The best thing for this is to ignore the damn thing. Don't look at it, don't react, don't do anything. The cat wants to get a rise out of you and it's working. Just act like it's not even there, on your radar, like you couldn't care less about the thing, and eventually, it will stop and tolerate your presence. The board is making it madder, you reacting means it's winning. Just don't do a damn thing.