Jane asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Worried about my diabetic cat?

She was acting perfect okay this morning and excited for food as usual. She's been sleeping all day and she usually comes running when she hears a cheese bag or a can of wet food being opened but she just sat there and didn't care which is unusual. I tried taking her blood but of course the monitor needs a new battery and the vets is closed till tmrw. She gets her insulin at 10:30 twice a day but this morning I was 15 minutes late. Did she maybe not eat enough or eat too much? Should I give her insulin her usual time tonight if she eats some? I could be overreacting but I'm honestly just worried :( thx

• Ocimom

Never had a cat with diabetes.  But it can be tricky.  I would call the emergency vet and tell them what you did and what you need to do right now.

Google for a pet hospital in your location. Call them and ask them what to do. Pet hospitals are opened longer hours and some are 24 hours a day. They would be able to tell you the correct info that you need to know. They also might have the supplies you need, just in case this becomes an emergency. It's always good to have a pet hospital on backup in the event you need them. If I was in your predicament, I would try force feeding with wet food in a syringe but I would still question whether or not to give insulin and how much is too much? I have no idea what to tell you, other than pet hospitals! They'll give you free advice over the phone. :) Hope your kitty gets better <3

• Ken S

I am a feline diabetes expert and have worked with many diabetic cat owners from all over the world helping them treat their diabetic cats. Need more information to help.

email your answers to justken@rocketmail.com

When diagnosed? which insulin, how much,how many times a day? What food do you feed? Any back leg problems?

What was the number this morning before the shot and yesterday's numbers?

Smell her breath- does it smell like nail polish remover?

Can she walk straight? wake her up and put her down to watch her walk.

Why do you need the vet for a battery? what meter do you use?

Euthanize it so it's not suffering

• Jane1 month agoReport

It's not suffering. They don't even feel the injections.

DO NOT give the cat insulin if she hasn't eaten.   You could send her into a diabetic coma. 

• Jane1 month agoReport

I plan not to so far

send it to the ranch, dr phil will fix ‘er up nicely

• Jane1 month agoReport

Hilarious. 

you're over reacting but get back on the regular schedule asap. don't worry about 15 minutes.

but if my cat didn't respond to food i would be suspicious yet you cannot readily draw definitive conclusions from a one time occurrence.