promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

whats your definition of apochrypha? its not the meaning that it means false doctrine?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

it more means of uncertain origin and validity.  It is not a declaration of falsehood in any way at all.  They are not apocrypha because they are known to be lies.  Just the opposite: they don't know for sure that they are true or too altered from the original to be considered as truth in total.  If they knew they were falsehoods, they would say so.  They would not use a fancy word to cover it up.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It does not mean "false doctrine"

A few centuries after Christ, the proto-catholics got together to decide which books would become "the bible". The books they did NOT include became "apocryph".

It is in no way *my* definition,  and questions about the answerer are not even allowed on Y!A

• 1 month ago

My definition doesn't matter. Use a dictionary to get a real definition.   noun  singular:    biblical or related writings not forming part of the accepted canon of Scripture.    Writings or reports not considered genuine.

• 1 month ago

In terms of the Bible, I tend to think of the word as pointing to texts that either did not add to Christian dogma, or contradicted it is some small way, like money being able to buy forgiveness in one of the texts. 

But most of the texts are ignorable, rather than hidden or false doctrines

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.