Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Is it illegal to walk around in public with a ski mask on?

I am a 6’2 black man in shape who likes to have fun in my free time. I like to go inside white owned businesses and run in there like I’m about to rob the place with my ski mask on but then just walk out. The looks on their faces are just absolutely priceless. They already know the deal and call 911 right away!! Is it illegal to do this?? I don’t want a criminal record under my name

You could be charged with Menacing. I was charged with Menacing 3rd degree. That's 90 days. They offered me $250 fine or no more than 15 days if I plead guilty to Disorderly Conduct. I told them I wanted my trial.

I walked out free 30 minutes later. I am a 6'2" WHITE male. This was in 1985 when I was 21. I was very strong. If you looked at me, you might think I was a mental case. I had a very thug like demeanor. If provoked, I probably would knock most people out the first punch, you could tell. Truth of the matter was, without provoking me, you had nothing to fear. The situation was I got into someone's face who said something to me. All I said was, "say that again." The creep followed me to work. About half an hour later, I was arrested.

No. But as you're planning to do it as a form of intimidation that could get you into trouble.

• Nuff Sed

Wearing a mask or hood in public is actually illegal in places like Florida.

I don't know why you think this would be fun. You can waste your time doing this and save yourself from trouble by doing so. I don't think its illegal but it does raise suspicion. 

You are confusing public with private. A white-owned business is a private business. If you run in and pretend to rob the place, you're likely to cause a disturbance, which is a crime (even without the mask). Wearing a mask while committing a crime is often an additional crime or an enhancer (stiffer sentence).

• Nuff Sed

• james

In parts of Asia it is part of the new stile. With a dust mask over that, & wearing a rain coat with the hood up & swim googles. So yes it is. Also you might try cutting the bottom out of a 5 gal. water jug & putting that over your head & ski mask. 

• Ivan

Keep it up and you might get shot someday lol!

• Even IF say that Were  true; laws do Not stop crooks and weirdos. Even law abiders illegally carry for self defense.  NYPD estimates 25% of households in NYC have an unregistered gun, they do NOTHING about it. Cops aren't as Stupid as LL gun grabbers. 

Some states, like Virginia, have no masks in public laws. You don't state your state.

• Nuff Sed

Actually, you're a thirty-something, white 5' 6" 250 pound land whale living in your parents' basement.

It might be, it could be classed as disorderly conduct.

Laws on hiding your face in public vary by jurisdiction.

If you wear a ski mask in public when there is no clear reason, a case can be made to charge you with inducing panic. This question actually supports the claim that is you intent.

Also note: Even if your actions are otherwise legal, it is NOT legal to violate whatever rules the business has in place.