promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Me and my sister share only 27% dna is it possible that we’re only half sisters?

Me and what I think is my sister did a test on MyHeritage recently and we came up with results saying we share 27% DNA, 47 segments, and 1919cm. It says were half-sisters but I was wondering, can we be full sisters ?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

The part you share is from your mother's side. It's evident that you had two different fathers. And part of your DNA is mixed from previous generations (grandparents and beyond).

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Maybe its time to talk to your mom!

• Alan H
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You share a higher proportion than that with a monkey!

• 1 month ago

How would you be able to get 27% DNA. If 3 guys contributed to your DNA it should be 25%. I would think full brothers and sisters would share 100% DNA.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

you guys could be half siblings.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

anything is possible, ask your parents

• 1 month ago

Ask a DNA Expert. This is the place to get suggestions. Not Facts.

• ...Show all comments
    • Edna
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

leah:  What possible "general advice" could we give you?  Your question doesn't call for advice - just suggestions and opinions.  You're either half-sisters, or you're full sisters; but  you already know that.

• 1 month ago

Your more likely half sisters.  This is something that  you should ask your mom about.  Better yet, have your mom take the test to see if your related to her.  then you could create the real story.

The only other possibility, and its a small one, is that they made a mistake in the lab with someone that your father or mother produced.  Given the multitude of tests being run in the lab, that would be highly unlikely that they accidentally tested someone else in your family at the same time. 

• 1 month ago

Chimera possibly, either that or not. Tbh I'm far from the best person to answer this but good luck.

• Lili
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Looks like you might have different fathers, if you are certain you were born to the same mother. 

Full siblings normally share about 50% of their DNA, though the percentage could be as low as 32%  However, half-siblings share from 18-32% of their DNA.

Sorry.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.