John asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 2 months ago

Why would Microsoft lock me out of my email account when it was not used to begin with?

I had created a Microsoft email account some time ago to find out that I've been locked out after attempting to log in. I understand that Microsoft does this when they suspect suspicious activity going on that violates their terms of service agreement. The thing is my account was never logged into for quite a while after creating it. Could someone have hacked in? I find it doubtful as my password was very strong and wasn't linked to much. Does this happen to you often? It has happened to me twice and both times the accounts were barely used and both accounts were linked to sensitive information sites like PayPal. Could this have anything to do with it? (My PayPal was clean of suspicious activity) Thank you for your input.

"my account was never logged into for quite a while after creating"

well there's your clue

• Lv 7

if they detected suspicious activity, it doesn't mean it was you...somebody may have tried to hack into your account.

thatxs why they require a phone number or second email now, for password recovery.

• Bill

If you only created the account and didn't use it for six months or more, they might delete it on the assumption that you did not intend to ever use it.