Is it sad to see the final nail in the coffin of Holden?

I guess the brand spirit died a few years ago when manufacturing in Australia ended but now it is well and truly done and dusted. This is the problem with Australia selling off all its assets. Foreign entities will just bleed the companies dry and run them into the ground, leaving Australia with nothing. 

The Holden manufacturing plant in Thailand has predictably been sold to China. Aussie taxpayers pumped millions of dollars in Holden after the sale to GM so it is disappointing to see them ruin the company. It’s hard to believe Australia actually used to make stuff. 

I knew this would happen. Once they stopped manufacturing Holdens in Australia, the brand would lose its cachet and no-one would buy them anymore. Who wants an imported Holden?

An Australia without Holdens is sad, but I'm not sad to see General Motors go. I'm tired of these multinationals to whom we give taxpayer money when they are in financial trouble. A politician will pose for the media with a giant mockup cheque and say "We saved workers' jobs!" Then the business closes its Australian operation six months later, saying it's all too hard. Why are we such fools? 

I feel sorry for those who lost their jobs, but it's probably for the best. Manufacturing cars in Australia is just not viable. Under the laws of capitalism, if your business is not viable, you go out of business. After all, Holden got out of saddle-making  when it realised that business had no future. General Motors can now concentrate on the still-profitable left-hand drive market.

The only way I could see Australian car manufacturing being saved, was if the factories were retooled to make left-hand drive electric cars for the international market. The celebrities and millionaires who buy such cars would mind dropping $500,000 to buy an Australian-made electric car ... 

• Dj2541

As an Icon that demonstrated the thriving energetic  Australia that gave  birth to the  Australian made  Holden I am sad  to see its passing.

It hasnt been much more than a drain on the public  purse  for a   time,  with the PARASITIC  General Motors management,  just  using it as a way  to attract  Australian  Govt  funding!

I still have my Holden  Commodore parked in my  driveway  next  to my  Mazda, a sign of the  times??

Holden GM died in 2009.  It could not compete with the Asian car market. It kept making big GM cars.

The fact they were using NAILS may have been their downfall, as other cars were welded and bolted together.  Even Euro cars were more popular such as Mercedes and VW.   Fords were more popular than Holden.

I  read somewhere China has  bought  Holden  time we made  our own  car never to be  sold to china  or anyone  else

Your silly anti Australia , dare I say it , trolling , is tedious in the extreme. If it were even a little funny but that is a bridge too far for a halfwit. 

• Half Drawn Boy

As is typical with your type, you are being too sensitive, fragile and melodramatic. Stop flailing your handbag around and man up, you are embarrassing everyone. 

No Holden/GM Hitlers Friend WW2 they helped Murder Australian Soldiers in WW2 North Africa the same as Ford both made money from the Nazis WW2

• Lv 5

Thumbs down so you approve of GM making Money out of the deaths of Australian Soldiers

What happened really, Holden just could not keep up with the Japanese and German market. They never really got on par with the hybrid and diesel and turbo market. Other than the Commodore there is nothing else they have made recently that has any kind of wow factor that would make a buyer want it, whether it's an SUV or a hatch or a commercial vehicle it seems like Toyota, Mazda and Subaru have something that looks nicer and offers better value. Holden made some plain ugly boring cars like Epica, Vectra and Tigra, no future classics there. Even the traditional Commodore drivers are now driving VWs and Hyundais. Back in the 60s and 70s they could not make Holdens fast enough to keep up with demand, sometimes a customer would give the salesman a cash bonus under the table to bump him up the waiting list, maybe they should have poached some designers from BMW and Subaru. What about Ford, are they going to be next for the chop?

• arther

"The Holden manufacturing plant in Thailand "

what holdens were ever built in Thailand?

I want GM to give back the $2 billion it bleed out of the government and every politician that gave it to them voted out. Holden died in 2017.

• arther

correct centrelink a corolla doesn't do well when a 4wd runs into it best to be in a bigger car. Don't worry about a little car wont tow the boat or drive in the paddock to well.

No it is not and it was very predictable . GM were making cars the people did not want and GM were slow to change 

>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=621&v=...

australians suck and so do their culture except for all the garage bands in sydney. shithole full of abos and bogans