Another mother in law question?

We went over to my husbands parents house on Saturday and she asked me when do I plan to wear her from breastfeeding. I told her at a year old I will wean. 

The next day his parents decided to come over. 

She made this comment “When she is seven, she will come home from school and want to be breastfed!”

My husband wants to call her tonight and have me talk to her about that comment. 

Is that a good idea? What do I even say? 

Yes, he needs to speak to his mother and tell her to respect you and respect how you will raise your children. My mother, sister, aunt, and cousin never agreed with me breastfeeding. They told me flat out they thought it was gross and that hurt me a lot. Mothers already deal with a lot of stress and self-doubt. The last thing they need is for people to make rude comments. Be thankful your husband is willing to stand up for you as I have friends who have to stand up for themselves to their mother inlaws.

As for what you say, you say nothing to her when he speaks to her. This is between him and his mother.

I would just say, yeah when she comes home from school at age 7 she will want her diaper changed too.

If you want to keep peace dont bother speaking to her at all but I have been through the same thing as u so if I get one more comment I am going to blow it over the roof I wont be the miss nice that I always have been. If u want to blow it u can to wtf is people's problem with breastfeeding it's the most healthiest source of food and drink for thr infant it was made for them and what is it to people if we breastfeed for 7 years they can mind their own ****. I think alot of women are jealous because they cant do it I think more likely they choose not to breastfeed as most of them cant  take the pain or are not patient enough. The infant will stop when ther are ready 

Seven years old is quite old to still be breastfeeding.

You're supposed to be an adult. In charge of another human. Start acting like it. Quickly.

If your husband wants to address that comment, he can do it.  Having you get on the phone is ridiculous.  He isn't the principal, and you aren't an elementary student.  And sure, he should tell his mom that you'll wean when you want to wean (if you get to a year and still don't want to, you are not obligated to do so) and she can keep her snarky comments to herself if she wants to see her grandchild. 

Good for him for standing up to his mother's ignorance. You don't need to say anything right now. If she is rude again assure her you are doing what you feel is best for the baby. Maybe gather her some info on breastfeeding till age 1. I breastfed till my kids were 2yrs old. My mother inlaw didn't support it and had to deal with her rudeness alone as my husband didn't want to get involved. She was mad at me because she couldn't bottle feed her grandchild. I couldn't pump for some reason, I hardly got anything when pumping. She also wanted my baby to spend the night with her when he was young and I didn't want to do that. She blamed that on breastfeeding too.

• I think my MIL is also sour about not being able to bottle fed her. Oh well, not her baby 

You have to learn to ignore crass comments from dumb in-laws. Don't rise to the bait. Tell hubby you have no intention of validating her ignorant comment by discussing it.

• Lili

Just ignore it.  It was a silly thing to say, but it's not so egregiously bad that you need to make a big issue of it. Your husband can complain to her if he wants to.

If she continues to comment, tell her that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding until the age of 1.