promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Tamra asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

I've never eaten soft shell crab before. I'm apprehensive about trying it. Can anyone who has had it before give me some advice please?

Update:

I'm nervous about eating the crab shell.  Every other time I've had crab, the shell isn't eaten.

Update 2:

I am looking for people who have had soft shell crab before to tell me what eating the shell is like to hopefully ease my apprehension about it.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • JOHN B
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Remove the gills (fillament) under the shell before cooking. Fry it crispy with seasoning, flour and egg wash. Best eaten as a sandwich on french bread. If truly soft you won't notice the shell. If not real soft remove it before frying.

• Tamra2 months agoReport

ok, thanks for the information

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

if you are talking about eating them in the shell then you need a cracking device to break the shell and you use a small fork to remove the meat and it tastes good with melted butter to dip it in and some pieces of lemon to squeeze over the meat.

• 2 months ago

I've only had it in sushi.  Spider rolls...YUM.  Anyway, you should try it if you like crab.  Don't worry about it, just try it, then you'll know. The shell really isn't an issue.

Texture-wise, it's not much different than the fried skin of a piece of chicken.  Enjoy!!

ok, thanks for information

• 2 months ago

BOIL it and have at it

ok, thanks

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Janet
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Use a knife and fork and savor it. It is delicious.

thanks for the encouragement :)

• Alpha
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Soft shell crabs are usually fried, although I had it once baked. There is nothing bad about it unless you don't like fried food. It's like eating fried fish except crunchier.

ok, thanks

• 2 months ago

The shell is rather soft, softer than shrimp shells. 

Usually the way the soft shell crab is cooked is a light coating of flour then the crab is fried.  If you have ever had fried smelt or other very small fish that is fried and the bones become softened during the frying so you do not even notice the bones.  That is sort of what the shell of the soft shell crab is like. 

I happen to love then but the season is short and I do not see them often here in the Mid West.  So enjoy a Soft Shell Crab Po'Boy sandwich for me please. 

Thanks.  I'll have to see if anyone offers a soft shell crab po'boy.

• John
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's similar to eating shrimp shells, maybe not quite as crunchy as that. Some of that depends on the certain crab and also how it's cooked.

ok, thanks

• C
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you've never had it before order it in a bun, ignore the legs if they're poking out the side.  Seriously, don't look closely at them before you've tried them.  They are delicious but you might not get over the hurdle of you look at them.

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

It goes in the mouth.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.