what happens if you send back a letter to the mailman? please read details below?

My friend temporarily moved into my moms house and later he moved back to his old house without changing his address, meaning that his official address is still my moms house. Now that he moved away, my mom (and probably more people too) has been sending back letters that aren't theirs. So if a letter arrives for my friend, and they leave it in the mailbox for the mailman to arrive, what happens to the letter? My friend is expecting his tax return to arrive my house but I'm afraid it's already sent back.

Don't worry about it.  If he can't be bothered enough to change his address, that isn't yours or your mom's problem.

This is not your problem. Your friend needs to officially change his address at the post office. It is your choice weather to collect his mail and give it to him or right quote unquote not at this address and leave it in your mailbox.

If they just LEAVE it in the mailbox, the postal carrier LEAVES it there. If they mark it 'Return to Sender' or 'Addressee Unknown', the post office attempts to return it to whoever sent it.

A tax return is NEVER sent to anyone other than the IRS.

A tax REFUND is sent to the address he put on the tax return when he filed.

When a person moves out the people who DON'T move out are NOT legally responsible for forwarding the person's mail.

Your friend needs to change his address.

I would guess that IRS doesn't read the Yahoo boards, so your friend will have to call them to see if his tax return (refund?) has been returned.

Tell him he needs to put in a change of address to have his mail forwarded to him. And tell him as well that you cannot be responsible for getting his mail to him. In the future, you can simply write moved on the envelope and cross out the address and write the correct address if you are so inclined. But if you do tell him what I suggest you should not have to do it because then the responsibility falls back where it actually belongs.

Your friend needs to submit a change of address form to the USPS right away so that all mail coming to him at your mother's address will go to his *new* permanent address. Without that information, the USPS will have no way to forward it to him. He can do it online.

Just leaving it in the mailbox won't do much. If they write "addressee unknown" on it, it probably goes into the dead letter file at the post office. They have no way of knowing where he is if he doesn't file a change of address with them. 

• STEVEN F

If there is a return address, and there ALWAYS IS for a tax refund, it goes back the that address.

• Maxi

The mail will return it to who ever sent it if there is a return address on the envelepe, if not they open it to see if they can find who sent it and then return it as offical PO opened mail...... your 'friend' needs to change their address with everyone or they will be getting nothing mailed to them