Rental agency gave me the wrong room key and still haven’t replaced it 3 days later - what are my options?

I moved into a house share on Saturday and was given the keys by the agent. The bedroom door was already unlocked and I thought nothing of it when he handed over the keys. But when I later tried to lock my door it wouldn’t work, the keys work for the front door but not my bedroom. I called and called until finally the agent told me someone would replace the key but not until Monday morning... not ideal but I reluctantly agreed.

Monday came along and no sign of the agent or the key. I’ve been staying in and locking my valuables in my suitcase in case of theft, I don’t even know who my housemates are so I don’t feel completely safe. When I called the agent they told me they need to get in touch with the landlord but they aren’t answering. The landlords business address was on the tenancy agreement so I decided to visit the office and was told they moved out six months ago!

I feel this whole process is so unprofessional but I’ve already paid a deposit and first months rent. I’m going away for a couple of days tomorrow and I don’t want to leave my stuff vulnerable for that long. What can do I bedsides constantly call which I keep doing with no luck??

Text them that if your Rolex is stolen, they are going to pay for it - you only wear it on occasion. Texting means that you have proof that you warned them, so they know you mean business.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

Could you just get their approval (they may not approve it, but worth a call to see) to call a locksmith and replace the lock yourself. Of better yet, go to the hardware store and buy a new knob and replace it yourself (take you 15 minutes if its just a standard knob and you know what you are doing).  option 3 is to constantly call until they fix it.

Call them AGAIN, tell them you have no safety of your personal property in your room if you leave. If nobody can get the key to you then you're going to file a complaint. Contact the police about this as it's a safety matter.

DO NOT WASTE POLICE TIME ON THIS NONSENSE..

if it were me, i would replace the lock myself and let the landlord know they can come for a key.

Request in writing that they deliver you a working key within 24 hours even if that means they have to have the lock rekeyed.   

You didn't say where you are, but in most civilized locations, tenants must be able to lock their residences by law.  Find out what the applicable law is for your location and quote it to your landlord.