Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 3 months ago

Why do people put off starting a family, only to rack up more student loan debt getting useless degrees, making them worse off than before?

You always hear the cliche advice, "finish college first before starting a family and settling down", but so many people go to college and get useless degrees these days that have no employment opportunites, amassing tons of student debt, only setting them back even further. And then they are 30 and in 50k in debt and work for $14 an hour with their psychology degree and then they decide to get married and have kids. What a great idea!! Or you could have just not gotten into 50k in debt and wasted 4 years of your life and gotten married 4 years ago and had 0 debt and made the same amount of money, possibly even more because of upward mobility within the company you started with 4 years ago. Makes no sense, why are people such sheep

Most of the people I have met who complain about their college debt are complaining because THEY made the mistake of borrowing unnecessary money.

• John

On the note of people being sheep, your rant repeats many of the standard falsehoods pushed by anti-education demagogues. Needless to say, you omitted important truths.

Over the course of their working years, college graduates on average earn far more than non-graduates.  Many of the best paying careers have either limited promotion opportunities, or are closed completely, to those without a college degree.  

When you are making $14 an hour after working for 4 years, your company will most likely hire a college graduate making several times that amount to be your boss.   

• MS

That experience you describe is certainly true of some students, but not all and I think I can safely say not most.  

Having personal problems, are you ? Or did the universe totally enlighten you ?? None of your business what other people do (unless and until they ask you for money).  P S  I graduated college before getting married and starting a family. < That is a very good financial plan (!)

• Lili

Sweetie, getting a good job WITHOUT a college degree these days is quite difficult. That didn't occur to you?  You seriously think you're going to rise high in some company with only a high school diploma when other people have college degrees?

And sorry, but I'm a college professor. I teach history. You may think that's a useless degree, but my former students tend to be well-employed.  You know why?  Because they acquired a lot of writing and critical-thinking skills that many techies just don't have.

And quite a few of them went to graduate/professional school. I did, and I didn't have to take out a single loan while earning my PhD.  My expenses were covered by fellowships.