promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

do you think a 2 and a half hour detention on a friday is too long and too harsh of a punishment ?

every friday we get let out of school early at 220pm this is great as you can imagine, BUT every 2 weeks we have a friday detention as a punishment for those who have not obeyed the rules etc, it is quite a serious punishment as it lasts for a SHOCKING 2 and a half hours, this means we will not get out of school before 5pm, we hav to sit at our desks in TOTAL silence and write punishment essays on what we have done wrong, i am not saying that we dont deserve to be punished what i am saying is that 2 and a half hours is just too long what do you think ?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

It depends on the severity of the rules being broken.  Generally, schools are given a pretty wide latitude in establishing punishments for rule infractions, as long as those punishments are 1) within the bounds of the law, and 2) conform generally to the standard practices of other educational institutions. 

As far as I can see, your detention is not out of line with either the law or what other schools do...and as mentioned before, it depends on the infraction.  We had similar punishments for multiple tardies, undocumented absences (skipping class), etc., so while two-and-a-half hours may seem a little steep, it's definitely not unheard of.

One thing you have to keep in mind:  in order to be effective, punishments by nature HAVE to be untenable and very unpleasant--that's why we call them "punishments!"  If it's something that you can put up with and bear, then it's not an effective punishment, because you'll start doing cost-benefit analysis (eh, I'm going to get detention, but it's only an hour, and that's SO worth it to skip Ms. Beakman's class.").  An effective punishment must to be something you *automatically* want to avoid, regardless of what you may gain from your misbehavior. 

So, bottom line:  "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time."  Know the rules and follow them, or you have to be a man/woman about it and accept *whatever* lawful punishment follows.  Good luck.

• ...Show all comments
    • Superion
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

That's a tricky question, because some people don't like being punished at all, so they may not need something as severe.  The trick is to find what is *effective*...that's why typically, escalation is used (light at first, then more severe, etc.) until we find something that works.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Depends on the severity of your offenses one supposes.

• 2 months ago

Just don't attend?

They may make it seem mandatory but just tell them flat out you're not going and there's not much you can do about it, just 'apologise' and say you have more important things to spend your time on.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

That's the school rules. You know what they are and you know what will happen if you break them.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Tough. Don't break the rules.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

With a massive input of information from the world around you, attention spans have dropped to seconds, and a couple of hours seems a lifetime. They are not beating you with a stick, not expelling you to the streets for life, but are asking you to think about what you have done and write about it. They are hoping you recognize and correct anti-social behavior and focus on the purpose that school is for.

When no longer in school, no longer living in parents households, and your life is your own, you face a world that if you can't conform, your future is typically bleek.

What type of worthwhile activity would you do with 3 hours NOT in detention?

Do you volunteer at a shelter? Work at a job paying money? Farm hand on a family farm? Tell us what this 3 hours would be used for!

• 2 months ago

I don't think it is harsh ENOUGH for asking if a punishment is too harsh without saying ANYTHING about the offense.

• 2 months ago

One day soon , you'll have to obey rules , that  we call laws -- disobey them, and real ,life changing penalties kick in .

So take the lesson , now .

• 2 months ago

I think that if you stopped breaking the rules you wouldn't have to worry about how long detention is.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

2 1/2 HOURS in school detention is better than 2 1/2 YEARS in jail! Learn your lessons and follow the rules!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It is not too long. 

In fact, if there are still kids regularly volunteering for said punishment, perhaps it should be more severe.

If the punishment isn't deterring misbehavior, it's ineffective.

Maybe the entire class should have to stay until 5:00 if even one person in that class misbehaves. 

• Diana
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

That's just plain wrong to punish others for someone else's mischief.  I've been out of school for a long time and I strongly believe what I say.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.