nen asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 2 months ago

My photos are not sharp. Any suggestions what I'm doing wrong?

I shoot with canon 5d eos mark 3. I usually use single focus more for non moving subjects. I have checked the diopter. I do know the basics of iso shutter and

aperture. My lens and Camera are cleaned and updated. The lens is switched to autofocus. Still my photos seems to me not totally focused and not sharp. Any advices would be very helpful

I have also used a tripod. The lens is sigma art 1.4

Im only using the sigma 1.4 art so it's just this lens

Its not only at 1.4 😶

All of your answers are in the manual.

• leandro1 month agoReport

Olá, fotografia é a arte de escrever com luz! Quer saber mais sobre fotografia acesse esse link: http://bit.ly/2TXuZ1A

• Frank

You could be experiencing a back-focus problem.

Set up a ruler so that it's at an angle to the plane of the sensor.  Photograph the ruler at f/1.4 and see if the lens is focusing on where it should be.  If not, then you can use the menu system to adjust the focusing for that specific lens.

An alternative cause is that the lens is simply not aligned properly and needs to be repaired.  Has the lens ever focused properly with the body you're using now?

• nen2 months agoReport

Frank hi. Yes I have cleaned calibrated updated both lens and Camera a few days ago

You should try to look in settings or go out to shoot in different places, also make sure you don't have any dirt in the lens.

• keerok

Go out under the sun and shoot a non-moving object with Auto mode at ISO 400. Make sure shutter speed is faster than 1/125s. If the result is not sharp, use a tripod. If still not sharp, clean both ends of the lens with lens paper. If still not sharp after that, use another lens. If still not sharp, have the camera and the original lens checked at the Canon authorized service center.

Definitely get out of Jpeg and shoot RAW. Now, before others jump on me, yes, I know you should still have good focus in Jpeg, however, the camera makes it's own sharpening adjustment when you shoot in Jpeg. You simply need to get into RAW if for no other reason than to eliminate the variable of Jpeg in camera processing. In RAW you will have the ability to adjust sharpening. (The original RAW file will likely look pretty soft, and that is totally normal). You can use the supplied Canon RAW software Digital Photo Professional, but frankly, there are better alternatives. Personally, I like Capture One, but Lightroom and Adobe Camera RAW are certainly also excellent.

So, give RAW a try since you seem to have exhausted other possibilities. You really should have stated from the very beginning that you were shooting in Jpeg.

As a last thought, I *think* there are different amounts of sharpening presets that can be set in camera when shooting in Jpeg. Maybe you just need to set it to a stronger sharpening strength. Still, I would suggest you get out of Jpeg and learn to shoot in RAW. YOU need to be the one adjusting your photos, not the camera.

The autofocus may be malfunctioning. Try manual focus. If successful, contact Canon.

• Mmm J

We don't know what the lighting level is. For example, if lighting is poor, add light. For example, what happens when you capture images under good, bright, sunlight?

We don't know what you're looking at to decide the captured image is "out of focus". For example, you may be magnifying the image on a large computer screen.

We don't know what compression you are using for the JPEG capture. If there is lots of compression, this allows the image to use less memory card storage - but this is accomplished by discarding image data. Use the least amount of compression to keep more of the image data.

• Little Dog

If the portrait is in a studio environment, connect the camera to a large monitor. Focus on the eyes. If you're using auto focus, the camera is focusing on something else.

• BriaR

Just some random thoughts...

Are all lenses out of focus?  Is it just your Sigma?  Is it just at f/1.4 

An f/1.4 lens has a wafer thin depth of field. Are you focused on the correct part of the image.   Try using a smaller aperture.

Did you buy the lens new?  Could be the previous owner adjusted the settings. Do you have the Sigma USB dock?  This can be used on some lenses to micro-adjust the focus.

Has the lens been dropped?  May not show any damage but internal alignment may have been affected.

Did you buy the camera new?  Could be the previous owner had some focus micro adjustment dialled in.  Try doing a factory reset or...

In yo ur menu settings there is the option for lens focus micro-adjustment - either lens by lens or all lenses. Try disabling it or enabling it

Has the camera/lens combination ever focused OK?  If yes then what have you changed?

• nen2 months agoReport

I don't know if this help but both camera and lens are calibrated updated and cleaned

• qrk

Try shooting in live view mode. You have two possible issues here.

1. Camera not focusing properly with the lens you're using, perhaps back/front focusing. If you take a picture of a sloping object, like a page of a book or a poster, you can determine if you are front/back focusing. There is probably a focus fine tuning setting on your camera which will be covered in the manual. Live view will properly focus since it uses contrast focusing. You may have a bad copy of the lens. Perhaps sending the lens back to SIgma, they can recalibrate it. This can be a problem using third party lenses.

2. Your lens may have excessive spherical aberration (focus shift). If you are shooting at anything other than f/1.4, SA will be problematic on poorly designed lenses at close distances when using phase focusing (using the viewfinder). This is because the camera will focus at f/1.4, then close down the aperture to the set value when taking the picture. The only way to get around this is use live view for focusing.

• P

If you are using older lenses that could  be the problem since the auto focus motors on the older lenses will have trouble keeping up.     Otherwise it's always a good idea to take a few pictures using FULL auto (auto iso, auto wb, auto aperture)   if these pictures are less blurry then you don't have something set correctly for the conditions.  Those canon's are also very sensitive to any type of hand movement so you could also try testing on a tripod.