Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 1 month ago

Euphorbia cactus?

Sooo I just bought an euphoria cactus plant(I think it’s called pencil cactus) and someone told me that it’s poisonous and can be fatal or very dangerous. So I kinda understood that it has something like milk inside it. If I don’t cut it and just touch it once a while to replant it or water it without gloves is it dangerous? Also I keep them indoors maybe that’s not a good idea?

Actually I cut a little piece and there was nothing like white liquid 

Pencil cactus is actually a euphorbia, thus making it a succulent and not a true cactus despite the name. 

There are thousands of euphorbias, and like all of them, the pencil cactus has milky white latex sap that is released when the plant is injured. This sap can be strongly irritating to some and a nuisance to remove even with soap.  It can cause serious damage if you get it in your eyes and even be fatal if you ingest it.  However, normal sensible precautions and cleanliness will avoid any nastiness. Just wear gloves if you're likely to injure it.  It's not going to leap out and attack you, it's a fine plant, though you may wish to keep it away from children or animals.