promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
TT asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

I was wondering if speaking a different language to someone who only speaks English is a social norm violation?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Oh come on. It could be rude, or it could be a really good idea; only the context would dictate whether you should do it or not.

OBVIOUSLY this depends on the specific situation, which you haven't bothered to explain.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

The bottom line is that it's pointless.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I don't think so, also worth noting that just because someone only SPEAKS English

(or another language) it doesn't imply they don't UNDERSTAND another language.

As for me, I don't mind speaking English but with someone who I've always spoken 

in another will continue doing so. And if a monolingual Anglophone is within earshot 

so be it. Why change esp if they wouldn't involve themselves in the chat regardless?

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Well, not if you don't speak English yourself, and not if that someone is there to learn that other language through the "direct method"

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

It is not, but some would say it is unacceptable.

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

What about speaking English to someone who can't understand it?? It works both ways!

• 2 months ago

Kind of. What would be the point of speaking to them if they can't understand?

• RE
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

How will you know they can't understand unless you try? Then gesture an apology if they obviously don't understand.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.