TT asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

I was wondering if speaking a different language to someone who only speaks English is a social norm violation?

Oh come on. It could be rude, or it could be a really good idea; only the context would dictate whether you should do it or not.

OBVIOUSLY this depends on the specific situation, which you haven't bothered to explain.

The bottom line is that it's pointless.

I don't think so, also worth noting that just because someone only SPEAKS English

(or another language) it doesn't imply they don't UNDERSTAND another language.

As for me, I don't mind speaking English but with someone who I've always spoken 

in another will continue doing so. And if a monolingual Anglophone is within earshot 

so be it. Why change esp if they wouldn't involve themselves in the chat regardless?

• Zirp

Well, not if you don't speak English yourself, and not if that someone is there to learn that other language through the "direct method"

It is not, but some would say it is unacceptable.

• Lôn

What about speaking English to someone who can't understand it?? It works both ways!

Kind of. What would be the point of speaking to them if they can't understand?

• RE

How will you know they can't understand unless you try? Then gesture an apology if they obviously don't understand.