promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

Do vegans think it's cruel to give cattle and chickens hormones to make them start producing milk and eggs?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I'm an omnivore ['meat eater'] but I am against the use of hormones in meat, dairy and egg production. I don't know what country you are in, but this practice is banned here in GB [and the EU] although it may change now because of Brexit. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It’s usually done to make livestock grow bigger for meat. Yes it’s cruel they can hardly walk with all that bulk weight. Totally unnatural.

Attachment image
    • Star_of_Darkness
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Umm nope. Get off the propaganda. Modren meat and egg breeds have been BRED to be larger faster, they have never been given hormones 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Back when I was v*gan nearly an entir

Decad ago I'd have said that it was myslf

but now as a high-IQ fr thinkr do not feel

so @ all !

• 2 months ago

That part isn't necessarily cruel but why on earth would I want to feed chickens and cows hormones if I don't eat eggs or dairy..?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Vegans think everything involving rising animals for food is mean or abusive or cruel yet they think nothing of the millions of animals that die so they can eat plants

Modern chickens are not given hormones to lay eggs, they do that just fine. They used to be given hormones to GROW faster but that is for broiler hens which are rised only for meat. Now the are selectively bred to grow very fast and don't need the hormones

Nothing wrong with giving cattle growth hormones. It doesn't hurt them at all and its been well proven to have no ill affects on humans yet vegans never pause to think about the plant growth hormones on their plants food or the pesticides and the like 

• Daisy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Don't know about vegans, but this question is stupid.

Cows are mammals. Like all mammals they produce milk to feed a baby. There is no hormone that you can give a cow to cause her to produce milk without being bred and having a calf.

In the USA, It's been illegal for many years to give hormones to chickens.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I can't speak for vegans but if they have any sense they"re more likely just to think it's crazy because it won't work and, so far as I know, no one would be stupid enough to do that.

When hens are around 21 weeks of age they begin laying eggs. When cows are pregnant and close to giving birth they begin to produce milk.

• Daisy
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

You are vastly underestimating the dishonesty  and stupidity of vegans.

• Louis
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Well, i guess, but you know there are so many other crueler things done to cows and chickens. That one is pretty low on my list.

• 2 months ago

Yeah. Vegans respect the laws of nature and oppose human intervention for their own benefit.

• Daisy
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Beyond Meat and the Impossible Burger, tons of fake "cheese,", soy juice passed off as "milk...." yep, vegans are all about nature and natural foods. Not.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.