Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

why do people like Reality TV shows like "Big Brother" or "Survivor" or "Love Island"? "Dancing with the Stars", etc?

how different than watching the nightly news about politicians?  any different really? it is like a reality tv show too?

people act these shows out in real life too? with their "friends" and co-workers ?

• I really don't know other than, entertainment.  I watch very little TV.  I have other things to do with my time.  :D

I  do not.

I love ones that are realistic. Like the "The 1940s House"; where a family goes back to live just as it was then, even being bombed on! How lacking food was then! 

Could you live these same ways? 

• Brian

I don't know. However, reality shows have the highest paid writers in the business.

• Lv 6

what do they "write"? it is all just kind of monitorising real interactions or not?

vicarious living. these are the partners you wish you had and the participants are the age you wish you were. it's a non-physical sport like Chess where you identify with your team.

• Lv 6

Big Brother is an interesting strategy game. There are a LOT of parallels with politics. Survivor I guess is similar but I haven't watched it that much. 

Dancing with the stars is absolute trash but its on ABC so what do you expect? 

Never heard of Love Island. 

Have you ever watched them? I guess people like eavesdropping. It makes them feel omnipresent.

• Lv 6

what do you mean by "omnipresent"? how eaves dropping is related? you mean people like to spy on people? how that makes them omnipresent?

Dems love those shows.