Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

What to do here? A casual friend want to see a comedy show I also want to see,  but I don’t want to go with her. I want to go alone.?

Show is on my b’day in April & I want to treat myself & go alone.

We see each other for coffee, every few months.

Saw her 2 weeks ago & somehow the show came up, we briefly talked about wanting to go.

I now want to go alone as it’s on my b’day and she’s a casual friend, I do not know her well enough to go to a show with her, and am not comfortable doing so.

I regret even talking about show with her..

I was making conversation as she doesnt talk much.

I also want to get dinner beforehand and she doesnt eat much.

She eats one meal a day and is super fussy with food.

Shes average sized, as am I.

What to reply if she messages me about the show?

I bought a ticket already.

Show is on for 2 weeks.

What if she ends up going on the same day as me??

We are females and friends only.

I put my “foot in my mouth” even bringing show up, as now she wants to go and I see shows alone

The show is showing for 2 weeks,Im going to a show in april..

Read the question...

i would just let her go with you, nothing wrong with that

• Jerry

Nothing wrong with it except she prefers something else for her special day. She can make plans with this friend for some other day, some day not her birthday. 

• Jerry

"Thanks for thinking of me, but I've made other plans for my birthday."

If asked about those plans, be vague: "My birthday gift to myself this year is me time; I'll be spending the evening alone." 

If your friend learns about your birthday plans, you do NOT react with awkwardness or embarrassment. You let your happiness shine. "Yes, I decided that what would make me happiest is an evening out on my own. I'm really looking forward to it!"

Or an alternative ending might be "I had such a wonderful time I might make this a yearly birthday treat." 

If she thought you were going to ask her to join you on your birthday, then she thought wrong. Too bad, but not a big deal unless you make it a big deal. 

If the show is in two weeks, that would be in March, not April.  Tell her the truth.  "Thanks for asking but I already bought my ticket and have other plans."  No need to elaborate even in the unlikely event of running into her at the show.

If she asks, tell her one of your friends invited you out for a birthday dinner and a ticket to the show.

If you should bump into her at the show, simply tell her your friend came down with the flu, so she could not join you.

Sometimes a little white lie helps to get you out of awkward positions. No real harm done.

• Jerry

I don't understand this compulsion to create a web of lies instead of simply saying "No thanks." 

There is no obligation for you to attend this comedy show with your casual friend and if you wish to spend your birthday taking yourself out for a meal and a show, that is totally valid for you. If this casual friends brings up the comedy show, be honest and tell her you are going to the show for your birthday and looking forward to your night out. You are not responsible for this person's reaction/response and given you have no control over ticket allocation, choose to put your focus onto your night out and allow yourself to have fun. Enjoy!