Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Why do people romanticizing the past so much?

I had a really great conversation with my grandmother (75) that started because someone on TV said back in the day everything was better. And she immediately went like ugh that is nonsense nothing was better back then and went on a long rant. Some of the things she said were that nobody could do what they wanted especially the women her entire life she just was raising kids and working hard while my grandfather was away at sea and living his best life. You just had to do what you had to do, no question asked and no room for personal dreams. She also said there was so much sexual abuse but either no one believed you or it was dealt with at home. She said she was lucky cause she had a good father the one time her uncle tried to touch her she told her dad and he took care of it by threatening the uncle. That was it, he was still invited everywhere and probably found another victim. She thinks people these days have much more freedom and if she could turn back time she would do everything differently. She said so much more but just to sum it up the past was not better. The only thing my grandparents both loved where their childhoods but those were cut short as well. My grandfather had to start working at 14 and my grandmother even earlier than that. I think it was like 10? So why are old people always so insistent that the past was better? Like I get when my mom is saying it cause she was a teen in the 80s so fun music and fashion and stuff but the 40s, 50s, 60s?

cause they had more fun back then

maybe cause they think things were better back then

Does it really matter WHY they do it? Okay, fine: They do it because for MOST people, the rough edges and negative stuff about the past fades faster than the good stuff does, so it SEEMS like the past had more good stuff than bad stuff. Alright?

• Jerome

Idk.

But I think it has something to do with "in your day"........🤔

In you day has meaning. To finally know the meaning is romantic.🤩