promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why is Facebook's search feature so terrible?

I'm looking for someone I know with a strangely written name, and Facebook can't keep that spelling for an accurate search.

Update:

Example 1: I have supplied an image which shows a Facebook image overlaid on a Google search (site:facebook.com) for the name Chindy. Chindy is a common name in South East Asia. Facebook converts it to Candy and Cindy without any choice to avoid Anglo names.Example 2: Search for Dog videos returns nothing. Okay, so I then like a dog page. Search for dog returns videos from that page. Facebook search is terrible! The question is asking why is it so?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

maybe the person isnt on facebook anymore and that might be why you cant find them

• GenNoti
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

No. Good answer. But that's not the problem. It happens with Facebook searches every day because I am regularly looking for names that are not Anglo names. The search engine is always rerouting them without opportunity for correction.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Daniel
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Its not Terrible if you cant find the Person your looking for then Either you typed there Name in Wrong or they dont have a Facebook Account

• GenNoti
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

Do you have any evidence?

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Easy to blame the programmers, right?

What if that person doesn't have an FB account or worse, has one but under a different name. Don't assume everyone is into what you're doing. FB is not a requirement to life.

• ...Show all comments
    • GenNoti
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

I do:

Search: Candy

Results from under 500 finds:

Ca = 424

Can = 303 

Cand = 295

Cad = 22

Cas = 36

Cadd = 15

Cady = 5

Cai = 2

Basically, the algorithms used by Facebook are eccentric and limiting. You're welcome to edit your answer and tell me why this is so?

• doubt  it's  as  bad  as  win-10  search  feature … win-95  had  best  search  feature.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.