Why is Facebook's search feature so terrible?

I'm looking for someone I know with a strangely written name, and Facebook can't keep that spelling for an accurate search.

Example 1: I have supplied an image which shows a Facebook image overlaid on a Google search (site:facebook.com) for the name Chindy. Chindy is a common name in South East Asia. Facebook converts it to Candy and Cindy without any choice to avoid Anglo names.Example 2: Search for Dog videos returns nothing. Okay, so I then like a dog page. Search for dog returns videos from that page. Facebook search is terrible! The question is asking why is it so?

maybe the person isnt on facebook anymore and that might be why you cant find them

• GenNoti

No. Good answer. But that's not the problem. It happens with Facebook searches every day because I am regularly looking for names that are not Anglo names. The search engine is always rerouting them without opportunity for correction.

• Daniel

Its not Terrible if you cant find the Person your looking for then Either you typed there Name in Wrong or they dont have a Facebook Account

• GenNoti

Do you have any evidence?

• keerok

Easy to blame the programmers, right?

What if that person doesn't have an FB account or worse, has one but under a different name. Don't assume everyone is into what you're doing. FB is not a requirement to life.

• GenNoti

I do:

Search: Candy

Results from under 500 finds:

Ca = 424

Can = 303 

Cand = 295

Cad = 22

Cas = 36

Cadd = 15

Cady = 5

Cai = 2

Basically, the algorithms used by Facebook are eccentric and limiting. You're welcome to edit your answer and tell me why this is so?

• doubt  it's  as  bad  as  win-10  search  feature … win-95  had  best  search  feature.