promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Christians: Help me to understand this:?

In the bible, the story of Sodom and Gomorrah tells of a man named Lot.

In God's eyes, Lot was the only redeemable man in the two cities. In fact, he is portrayed as a faithful servant of God.

As a result God sends two male angels to warn Lot to take his family out of the city before it is destroyed.

But then a group of men, who spotted these angels, whom they assumed to be mortals, entering Lot's home, showed up and demanded to have their way with them.

Then Lot says: "No, do not do this evil thing, take my young daughters instead they are virgins."

Um, what??

And Lot was a faithful servant of God?

This cannot be chalked up to "a different time" or "homosexuality is a sin."

Imagine I had a couple guy friends over at my house, and a mob of men showed up wanting to rape them.

Then Imagine I said: "Hey fellas, leave them alone and take my underage daughters instead,' and I shoved them out to the mob.

If you were on that jury, wouldn't you want to put me UNDER the jail?

31 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

What's to understand, that you don't understand? Again to fail to understand that your take on the situation is not involved in a faith-based system involving the validity or the truth of the Holy Scriptures.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

It should be noted that rather than condoning or condemning Lot’s actions, the Bible simply reports what took place. The Bible also does not tell us what Lot was thinking or what motivated him to act as he did. He was placed in a difficult situation. By saying that the visitors had “come under the shadow” of his roof, Lot indicated that he felt compelled to provide protection and refuge for them. But this would not be easy.

Instead of assuming that his motives were bad, why not consider some possibilities? First of all, Lot may well have acted in faith. How so? No doubt Lot was aware of how God had protected Sarah, the wife of Abraham, Lot’s uncle. Recall that because Sarah was very beautiful, Abraham had asked her to identify him as her brother, lest others kill him in order to take her.* Subsequently, Sarah was taken to the household of Pharaoh. God, however, intervened, preventing Pharaoh from violating Sarah. (Genesis 12:11-20) It is possible that Lot had faith that his daughters could be similarly protected. Significantly, God through his angels did intervene, and the young women were kept safe.

Consider another possibility. Lot may also have been trying to shock or confuse the men. He may have believed that his daughters would not be desired by the crowd because of the homosexual lust of the Sodomites. In addition, the young women were engaged to men of the city, so relatives, friends, or business associates of his prospective sons-in-law might well have been in the crowd. (Genesis 19:14) Lot may have hoped that by reason of such ties, some men in that mob would speak up in defense of his daughters. A mob thus divided would not be nearly so dangerous.

Whatever Lot’s reasoning and motives, we can be sure of this: God must have had good reason to view Lot as a “righteous man.” 

• 2 months ago

correct believed it god is good always  .

• 2 months ago

Why has nobody mentioned that the 2 young women never even got outside the door of Lot's house and were never touched by the men of Sodom? All the town's men surrounded the house, demanding the 2 male visitors be handed over to them. They did not know they were angels any more than Lot did - until Lot went out to plead. That infuriated the men who went to attack Lot, and were near to breaking down the (shut) door of the house. Then the 2 'men' grabbed Lot inside and struck the men near the door with blindness so they couldn't find the door.

Sure, Lot made a bad choice, electing to live in the fertile plane of Sodom, and did not his whole family suffer as a result? That, however, did not make him unrighteous. The Bible says that Lot was sorely grieved by the godlessness of that town. As a godly man, he was rescued "who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men, for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard (2 Peter 2:4-10). That is why Lot "sat at the gate" of the town, with the elders, to give judgments on local issues. When the mob came that night, they showed their hatred of him coming in and then being such a judge (Genesis 19:9). 

Like most things in life, it's easier to get into something than out of it. Consider your choices as to where you and your family will live; consider who your associates are, for most places and most people will compromise you, spiritually, unless you are doing what Jesus said: "Seek first the kingdom and His righteousness, and all these other things will be added to you." (Matthew 6:33)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

The moral of the story

It is better to have sex with females than same sex which is an abomination to God.

Consequently if on a jury of God the severity of the sin would be less than having same sex.

You do know we're on a reward system?

[See I Corinthians 3:10-15; Ecclesiastes 9:5]

Same sex will have more rewards taken from you!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Lot is one of the most despicable characters in the Old Testament.

His daughters were engaged to be married: still virgins. I’d LIKE to think he panicked thinking the mob wouldn’t touch them because of their lust for men (like a truly gay man today finds sex with a woman repulsive).

Anyhoo... I’ll be sure to ask him when I meet him.

• Dr. D
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

First of all, Lot's righteousness was compromised. Lot chose to live in Sodom even when he knew its reputation. That was a bad choice. Lot warned his son-in-laws about the impending destruction and was laughed off. Lot and his family had enjoyed the vile life in Sodom too long. It affected them all. When Lot offered his daughters to the mob, he either knew they were homosexuals and would reject his daughters, or he was slipping deeper in sin. Even when Lot and his family fled from Sodom his wife disobeyed God's warnings. The entire passage isn't about Lot's righteousness as much as its about his moral failures. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No, I wouldn't want you under the jail.  I would try to understand why you did what you did, said what you said.  That is always the first thing.  WHY did that person do that.  WHY did that person say that.  And by the way, Lot didn't shove his daughters to the mob of men.  No need to embellish.

Your reaction is understandable.  That "offer" has lots of us scratching our respective heads.  And that's a good thing.  Better to try to understand why than damn Lot to under the jail or worse.

Keep in mind though that the Bible does not advocate such a thing.  It is simply reporting on the entire account.  Maybe Lot had in mind that it could serve as a distraction of sorts.  He knew the angels were angels.  Perhaps he was trying to distract the mob long enough for the mob to go on their way, or long enough for the angels to go into action.  He already knew that God protected his aunt Sarah from sexual assault.  Maybe he was buying time until the angels would protect his daughters as well.  (And they did).  It doesn't help to judge Lot by saying what we would do.  We are thousands of years removed from his circumstances.  We cannot question him as to why he would make such an offer.  We should try to see what God saw.  Lot continued to enjoy God's protection and was delivered out of Sodom and Gomorrah.  And he is on the Bible's record as being a righteous man.

• ...Show all comments
    • River Euphrates
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

If he knew the angels were angels, he would know they didn't need 'protection' from a mob of men who wanted to rape them.

Your justification = pretzel logic.

The reality is that none of the events described ever actually happened.

• 2 months ago

This is the result of your ignoring the fact that Lot was credited as righteous because of his connection to Abraham. It is certainly not because of his behavior. If that were true he(Lot) would have never resided within a city like Sodom in the first place.

• yesmar
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You don't live in ancient Palestine.  Yes, the time and culture makes a big difference to why they did what they did.  Women and children were considered nothing, hospitality to a guest was everything.

• ...Show all comments
    • Annsan_In_Him
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

There was no land of Palestine until A.D. 132 when Roman Emperor Hadrian renamed the Land of Israel 'Syria Pelestina'. This episode took place hundreds of years before the new nation of Israel entered the Promised Land, to take it as the land promised to Abraham.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.