I am to get a TB test and wonder if I can get my finger stuck verses a blood draw? I undertand the other testing - this is my question.?

Stop being scared of this simple test there is no blood  drawen a simple tiny needle containing 0.1mL of fluid containing 5 TU of PPD (purified protein derivative),, under the most top layer of the skin leaving a small bump ( nothing to worry about takes about 3 mins) and bingo your done however you have to return to the place you got the test within 3 days to see if your neg or positive.

Source(s): nurse had several times
  • Janet

Actually, the finger stick hurts for quite some time afterwards. The blood draw SEEMS more invasive .. just look away, relax your body and STAY physically relaxed, and it will hardly be felt at all and be over with before you know it.

The more we tense up, the more things hurt.

• Diane A

TB isnt a blood draw or a finger stick

• .

The TB skin test is performed by injecting a small amount of fluid (called tuberculin) into the skin on the lower part of the arm. A person given the tuberculin skin test must return within 48 to 72 hours to have a trained health care worker look for a reaction on the arm.

You don't give any blood.

the standard TB test is called the Mantoux where a small amount of tuberculin is injected under the skin on the arm. no blood is drawn at all