promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why does the UK use "pounds" instead of normal "dollars" ?

I love the UK, i'm not insulting. I'm just wondering lol

Update:

I'n Canadian btw

26 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Historical trade in England was conducted using gold as the means of exchange. So one pound weight of gold was the standard. This has developed down the 'pound'.

Dollar is developed from 'Talents of Gold' , found in the bible. Shortened to 'Talents' and historically casually changed to 'Dollar'. I don't know what's 'normal' about dollars. Several countries use the term 'Dollars' as their currency.

e.g. US $ , Aus$ , Can$ , NZ $. HK$ .

Other countries use a local name for their currency . EU (Euro) , South Africa (Rand) et.seq.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

the UK Pound was based on a Pound of silver since 775 AD

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Pounds are normal in the UK Dollars are worthless.

• Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

The pound was a unit of currency as early as 775AD in Anglo-Saxon England, equivalent to 1 pound weight of silver.

• 2 months ago

What are "normal" dollars.

Why since you clearly have the internet can't you look this up? Desperate for attention.

• pmt853
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Seriously? No, really, are you being serious? 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I love the UK, i'm not insulting. I'm just wondering

WHY IS THIS POSTED under travel section.

REALLY

Pounds has been a monetary term a lot longer than that pretend dollar thing.

The Pound sterling is the OLDEST currency in continuous use. A number of nations that do not use sterling also have currencies called the pound.

The pound was a unit of account in Anglo-Saxon England, equal to 240 silver pennies and equivalent to one pound weight of silver. It evolved into the modern British currency, the pound sterling.

On April 2, 1792, U.S. Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton reported to Congress the precise amount of silver found in Spanish dollar coins in common use in the states. As a result, the United States dollar was defined[19] as a unit of pure silver weighing 371 4/16th grains (24.057 grams), or 416 grains of standard silver (standard silver being defined as 1,485 parts fine silver to 179 parts alloy).[20] It was specified that the "money of account" of the United States should be expressed in those same "dollars" or parts thereof. Additionally, all lesser-denomination coins were defined as percentages of the dollar coin, such that a half-dollar was to contain half as much silver as a dollar, quarter-dollars would contain one-fourth as much, and so on.

If you do not know WHEN be advised the pound is about 1000 years older.

Anglo Saxon England ended in 1066 with the Norman conquest.

Canadian pound 1841-1858Spanish dollar pre-1841Newfoundland dollar, 1865 – 1949 in the Dominion of Newfoundland

Canadian dollar 1858

The word Dollar traces back to the 1500's

Fair question and you now have an answer easy to look up more details.

a more detailed answer to WHY requires an understanding of international banking and payments, paper currency replaced metal coins and bars of metal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_standard

• Clive
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

No need to be rude.

• 2 months ago

They also call potato chips "crisps" and French fries "chips".  I'm going to make a wild guess, and assume you've never been out of the US.  Here's a radical concept, people in other countries have different words for things, some have entirely different languages!  But you have no idea how many times I've seen Americans get bent out of shape because stores in other countries don't take dollars.  

• 2 months ago

Pounds are normal in the UK.

Just as Euros are normal in most of Europe.

Different countries have different currencies. Your 'normal' isn't necessarily someone else's 'normal'.

• 2 months ago

Who says dollars are 'normal'? They may be normal to you as a Canadian who has used them all your life but pounds are every bit as normal to a Briton who has used them all their life, the same way francs are normal if you live in France. And the pound existed as a currency for some centuries, at least close to 5 centuries, before dollars cam along. It was called a pound because it was equivalent in value to a pound of silver.

• Clive
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Francs are not normal in France.  They use euros.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Why does Canada use dollars instead of normal pounds?  That would be a far more pertinent question.  The pound has been around far longer than Canada has existed, so why did Canada change?  Why does most of Europe use euros?  Why does the USA use a different dollar?  Why does Mexico use pesos?

As it happens, there is a known reason for the British pound.  It goes back around 1200 years to when even England didn't exist and the area that is now England consisted of several kingdoms.  In Mercia in the time of King Offa, coins were made of silver and 240 pennies could be made out of one pound weight of silver.  So one pound (money) equalled 240 pence because they made one pound (weight).

And that became the rule ever since.  The kingdoms united to become England, later on further unions made the UK, and the pound carried on throughout all this with £1 = 20 shillings = 240d.

Until 1971, when £1 became 100p and that meant changing all the coins.  It was starting to look like the odd one out when just about every other country had gone for something decimal that's easier to do sums with.  Keeping the pound as the basic unit saved changing all the banknotes as well and kept something familiar we could relate to.

Just for fun, Offa is still on the map.  Roughly along the border between England and Wales, there is a large long earthwork called Offa's Dyke, It was built to keep the Welsh out.  I've walked along some of it and it's a nice view from the top.

And what does this have to do with travel?

• 2 months ago

Because the UK existed a LONG time before any form of dollar was invented. Duh.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.