lila
lila asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 6 months ago

My weight has been fluctuating 5 lbs & my husband told me "I always look the same." I want to believe him but is that normal not to notice?

I'm 5'7" and usually weigh in at 127 but I've been eating terribly lately and not exercising, so my weight has gone up to 135. I've been so depressed because it feels more like 10-15 pounds to me even though it's only 5-6 thank to 11 years of disordered eating and poor body image issues. I broke down to my husband about how awful I've been feeling about myself and he told me that my body always looks the same to him, that he hasn't noticed any weight gain. Part of me was relived but another part of me felt like maybe I'm crazy because I don't understand HOW he could not see the same weight gain I do. It's not in my head, the evidence is on the scale. Is this normal? To the men out there, do you not notice little fluctuations in your wife's weight even if she does? I'm assuming my husband is telling the truth that he doesn't notice, I trust that he wouldn't lie to me even when I feel the weight gain in every inch of my body.

Yes, it's normal not to notice a weight fluctuation of 5 lbs.

people don't notice weight change in either direction until it is 10% or more.  in your case about 13 lbs

• Andy C

LOL 5lbs! That's taking a pee and dropping a deuce.

• Jerry

Believe what he says; everyone's weight fluctuates. You sound like a killer; lucky man.

I can fluctuate by twice that without it being noticable.

A fluctuation of half that is a normal daily fluctuation between morning and evening.

• Adam D

At 5'7", even 10 pounds of weight gain probably wouldn't look all that different.  It is definitely in your head.  You should probably consider speaking with a professional about how you're feeling.

Most people fluctuate 5-10 lbs normally. Mostly it is water weight and whatever food you consume coupled with how effective your body waste elimination process is.

Not a big deal that he didn't notice, most people wouldn't.  

By the way at 5'7" and 127 lbs you are in the normal BMI range as is 135

That you admit you suffered from some body image issues and and disordered eating coupled with having posted the same exact question twice an hour ago you might want to get some help with your body issues, they apparently are worsening.

Obsessing over the number on the scale where you claim to feel a 7 lb weight over every inch of your body is not normal thinking.  Nor is your comment "how could he not see it."  That's you ED talking.

I'm the same height as you and I weigh 185, you are as skinny as can be

• Janet

10 to 12 pounds is the difference of one dress size. Five pounds is nothing, and it is normal to fluctuate back and forth, even over the course of 24 hours, by as much as 5 pounds.

He’ll be happy if the weight gain is in your títties.