promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 2 months ago

Out of curiosity, why do the Korean actors in the Parasite movie sometimes speak in English?

Great movie, must've watched it 10 times already.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Have not seen it. But here's a guess based on my years of traveling overseas into many foreign countries. English is the international language for trade, science, and business.

When we go to conferences held in foreign lands for example but designed to include people from all over the globe, the conferences are likely to be held in English. I once went to a conference in Athens Greece where the key note speaker was the Premier of Greece. He spoke in flawless English. [See source.]

International transportation communications are done in English as well. Did you ever wonder about how airline pilots talk to traffic controllers in foreign nations? It's because by ICAO flight rules they each must speak English. Sometimes the English is pretty bad, but it's still English.

So my guess is those Koreans found themselves in a case where there were international considerations; so they went to the international language...English.

Source(s): TIMS Conference Athens Greece, 1978.
    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

For the same reason that during the Oscars, the director used an interpreter, but also delivered parts of his speech(es) in English.

Because it's common for South Koreans to speak at least some English, in addition to their native language.

In fact, it's common in pretty much every developed country besides the U.S.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.