Manko asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

So when cats meow that’s their way of communicating with humans, is that correct?

I heard somewhere that they only meow as a way to communicate with humans and cats communicate with each with their body language. 

Then why do I hear stray cats meowing sometimes? 

• steve

It is true.

Maybe You listened to the same radio program as me the other night when this was discussed.

Kittens will meow to their mother if they are hungry. But once no longer reliant on their mother cats only meow at humans and not each other.

A stray cat meowing is either still a kitten or wants someone to take it in and feed it.

Cats do communicate with each other using sound, not just body language. Mother cats make sounds that her kittens understand instinctively. The meaning of those sounds and how to make them are hardwired into the brains and the genes are passed along to future generations. Scienitists have been trying to decipher the cat sounds, with some success. The meow sound is actually made up of 2 parts. The "mee" part is a friendly call but the "ow" part is a distress call. Translated, it says, I am your friend and I need help. If a cat only says "ow" then it is in serious distress, probably gravely ill.

"Perhaps the most commonly heard cat sound, the meow of an adult cat is almost exclusively used to communicate with humans, and not other cats. First uttered by kittens when in need of their mothers, this juvenile vocalization fades away as wild cats mature. But, as cats in domesticity tend to think of themselves as our eternal offspring, they maintain this endearing vocalization throughout their adult lives. Generally, a meowing cat wants something—attention or food or perhaps access to a room. Sometimes though, meows simply serve as a “welcome home” salutation."

I find that comment about meowing to be completely false....I have a cat who is in absolute love with her brother....when he is hiding somewhere she will stand in the middle of the house and meow really loudly and repeatedly until he comes out and shows himself.  it has NOTHING to do with me at all...

Because they growl at each other and at possible predators if they feel threatened. It may sound like a meow but it's actually a yeowel

They will also rub their heads on your legs.

Stray cats are communicating to other cats in the 'hood.

I've kept cats for 60 years and they meow only when they are distressed. Like something hurts or they're very hungry.