Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 month ago

How to refuse ultrasounds?

So before I get started I need to preface that I have gotten several ultrasounds already including my 22 week Anatomy scan which was normal and everything looked great with the baby including position and size as well as development. Since I went into my doctor's office before they had ever done an ultrasound on me at 8 weeks they told me they wanted me to get an ultrasound every 4 weeks after 16 weeks because my BMI was 30. They said that the concern was that the baby would be too large and they needed to track monthly the growth of the baby. Since then I have actually lost 20 lb and only gained back 10 and I'm now 26 weeks. I managed to skate by without them realizing I hadn't gone until my last appointment when she said she still needed to see this extra ultrasounds even though everything was fine with my anatomy scan as far as the size goes. I would have to not only pay out of pocket $120 per ultrasound but I would also have to take off work for each of them because I work in a school from 7 to 3 and the last appointment available where I need to go for this ultrasound is 3 so unless I could teleport there I wouldn't be able to go. I feel like with the fact that I don't have any other underlying issues like diabetes gestational diabetes or preeclampsia I don't need these extra ultrasounds. But how do I refuse my doctor further going on from this point?

• Edna

Just say that you don't want an ultrasound or that you can't afford one. A doctor can't force you to have one. 

I find it strange. These days, doctors want to schedule so many useless ultrasounds (for no good reason & just to 'check').  When my son was born 58 years ago, ultrasounds weren't in common use during pregnancy. Mothers and their babies got along just fine without them.

• Banana

Thanks! I actually ended up not having to have the conversation because the main doctor at the practice had no idea why they told me I needed the extra because I was healthy and everything looked great so far. 

• zipper

WHY IN HELL WOULD YOU DO THAT? OH YEA LOOK WHO IS ASKING!

• Banana

What?

You simply tell your ob/gyn that you're willing to take the risk to your health and that of your child to avoid $120 co-pay and taking time off of work.  It's your body and your baby. 

You should also ask for a detailed explanation of exactly how your prenatal and or birth plan would change based on any data received from the scans.  Is the doctor simply following a "cover-your-***" protocol so he/she won't be sued if something happens or would they recommend a planned C-section, bed rest, or other intervention if the baby reaches a certain size?Keep in mind that your ob/gyn also has the right to refuse to have you as a patient if you are unwilling to abide by what they consider reasonable recommendations. It's a two-way street.

• Suzy Q

You say "I have decided not to get any more ultrasounds".

You're in charge here. Not your doctor. You have every right to say no. 

And in your situation (I went into pregnancy with a BMI of 31 and like you lost more weight than I gained back) I would make the same decision. Starting a pregnancy at a BMI of 30 is not in itself reason to have 3-4 extra ultrasounds. I wouldn't have to pay for them, but they wouldn't even be worth the inconvenience. 

I did have one extra growth scan around 34 weeks, but that was because my abdominal measurements were off. And that scan was covered by my insurance anyway. 

Have you asked your doctor why she feels the need to monitor baby's growth this often? If her concern is a big baby, it seems to me like only the very last of those 3-4 extra ultrasounds would provide any useful information for when you give birth. An 11 pound baby is an 11 pound baby no matter if it was already big on ultrasound at 26, 30, 34 AND 38 weeks.

What does she propose to change about your prenatal care if baby is growing faster than average right now? If the answer is 'nothing' or something as vague as 'it's just good to know', I would consider these ultrasounds unnecessary. And say so. 

Having said all that: some tests actually are useful. Your BMI puts you at an elevated risk for gestational diabetes. Which doesn't at all mean you will get it, just that if/when they offer screening/testing for diabetes, that's not one to refuse. 

Don't most places test for gestational diabetes at 28 weeks? And you're only 26 weeks so you don't know if you have it or not. You need to start thinking about your baby and less about yourself. 

• Banana

They tested early because of higher concern  

It isn't that hard to say "no".

Did you ever ask them what they would do based on the results of the scan.

I think your doctor is looking for an excuse to induce labor early so they don't have to worry about what day/time  you might go into natural labor and spoil their weekend.  

Say no.

You have hired the doctor - he or she cannot force you to have tests you can't afford.

• Jill

They are providing a service to you. They are not in charge of you. You are within your rights to refuse so simply tell your doctor that unless there is a problem you won't be having the extra ultrasounds. 

• edward

They can’t make you do anything first and second you just say you can’t afford it

You say

I can't afford these tests and I'm not interested in doing them.

That's it