Should I buy a MacBook air or just wait and save up for a MacBook pro?

I currently have a MacBook pro that is 7 years old and it really slow and I can't do any of my work on it without it lagging and freezing. I do a lot of graphic design work and I use programs all day. I use programs like Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, simple stuff.

I wanted to buy a fully loaded MacBook pro, but it would cost around $3,900  and I don't want to spend all of that money in one spot right now. I saw the MacBook air, it is only $1,300 but it isn't as high powered as the pro I assume. The air only has a 1.6GHz dual‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i5 processor and 16 gb's of memory. The MacBook pro that I want has a 2.4GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor with 64 gb's of memory. My question is this, do you think the new mac air will be enough to do graphic design work, and run programs such as illustrator and photoshop? without lagging much? I am willing to buy the air for $1,3000 and then save up for the pro maybe later this year or next year. What are your thoughts on this? Should i just wait to save up or should i buy the MacBook air? I am worried that the MacBook air won't be fast and will slow down eventually. 

Neither. Buy a laptop running windows. It'll run circles around a mac. 

• keerok

Save.

Continue saving. Perpetually save your cash for fear of buying something that will become obsolete in 6 months. That's the only way to beat obsolescence!

neither; spend the money you were going to put on a useless mac and get a windows- based gaming rig. you will get twice the computer for that price

If the Air seems like too much of a compromise, price out some upgrades you might have been missing out on, like maxing out the RAM or upgrading to a larger or solid-state drive (or replacing the optical drive with one). That ought to give you some extra time and cash to save up for your holy grail.