ctc453
ctc453 asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Writing tips: how to be inspired by other works of fiction without ripping them off ?

Well, it has been said there are only seven stories in existence and every other one s just a version of those seven

• denise

Try to be influenced by the other writers style, but avoid using their characters / stories.

Change the characters and give them different goals. Lead them down a different path with obstacles to overcome.

• Logan

Works you're inspired by will often come through whether you want them to or not. However, if you're talking the conscious decision to use something as a reference then you take an element that you like and you alter it to fit your story.

Take Avatar: the Last Airbender. The use of elements as a magical system is cool. So you take that as a base, add ninjas and lightening as an element and you now have Naruto with the special ninjas as Jinchuriki (though they're feared rather than respected).

• Andrew

There's a difference between being inspired by ten different works and being inspired by one single work. If you've got a wide range of influences, the final product won't be too similar to any one work, but if you're only pulling from one source, it's impossible to do anything that isn't wholly derivative of that one source. It's never a good idea to try to base an original work on an existing work. It's not a strong foundation for being creative. But if you take certain elements from a wide range of sources, in the end your work won't be too similar to any particular one. Many young wannabe amateur authors get obsessed with a book and then decide they're going to produce their own version, so if the book they read happened to be about wizards, they write about that. If it was about vampires, or ancient gods, or zombies, they write about that. And because they intend to write their own version of an existing story, it's totally derivative and will therefore be compared unfavorably to the original because it's unoriginal and the quality of the writing will not be anywhere as good. If you want to write, read - a lot. If you can't be arsed to read books, you've got no business claiming to be writing them. 

I don't believe anyone can tell you how to be inspired. Inspiration comes from within you.

Rip them off..... but rip them off cunningly. Like creating a hero called "Harry Potter", but he knows sod-all about magic. He's brought up on a planet called Tatooine and when he pulls the sword out of the stone he becomes Hamlet, king of Denmark and goes cruising down the Nile on a raft with his servant Jim. You see? Easy.

Change things significantly.

For instance -- the story of Pocahontas is the same as the movie Avatar and the movie Dances With Wolves. A soldier/warrior is in a new world, identifies with the natives, sides with them when something goes wrong. --- Yet each story, regardless of the basic format, is completely original in their own way.

• Speed

What I try to do is use the work that inspired me as no more than a springboard for my own ideas.

Say I just loved The Hunger Games (which I didn't, but that's beside the point). Obviously I don't want to just write my own version of a futuristic society that makes representatives of districts fight to the death for food. I need to find a way to make the story my own.

So I have to think about what made it riveting to me. Was it Katniss's selflessness in taking her sister's place? Was it the two good men who wanted her? Was it her skill as a bowhunter? Was it the society that set this up and made it work? Was it the foppery of the wealthy? Was it the reality show vibe where the deaths were real?

Whatever it is, that's the kernel of my idea for an original work.

• .

Look for interesting sub-genres.  That can inspire you.