Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

My Dad is an alcoholic. How do I stop getting so anxious around him?

You don't say how old you are but I would like to make a solid recommendation for you so that you can learn the adult skills needed when handling an adult parent who is an alcoholic:

1)  I invite you to Google the website for Alcoholics Anonymous or Ala-Teen for children of alcoholics. 

2)  You can buy the book  "Adult Children of Alcoholics" on Amazon or find it at your local library.

You need a skill-set for learning how to handle your father and his disease.

Unless he’s doing something to harm you why be nervous, I mean it’s messed up he’s addicted but if your a child and he’s being abusive/neglectful report him, but if your an adult you will have to cut him out of your life unless he changes.

• Murzy

There is a help group Al Anon for children and spouses of alcoholics. Contact them for advice.

Start drinking.

I don't think you can. Try and avoid him as much as possible. Stay in your room, go to the library, visit friends. See if you can live with another relative or even a friend.