promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

I scraped the underside of My car and there is minor damage but is it urgent?

So my car is a low sedan, and while going over a hump I scraped the underside. When I took a look, I saw that the underbelly cover of the car is loose and damaged. It looks like I need a new underbelly cover for this particular area. However, is this urgent and can I still drive the car without a replacement?

Update:

No real damage was done to the chassis or the drivetrain. Only the underside belly cover panel. 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

That cover is not really necessary unless you live in a state where the roads are salted in winter. If so, get it replaced or the underside will corrode fairly quickly. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • M.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You don't WANT it to be urgent, so just ignore it.

• 2 months ago

Yup, those plastic "covers" are supposed to improve air flow under the car. That's about it. And they do help keep rain water from splashing up on stuff under the hood. Neighbors son ran her 2007 Camry off the road, took what was left of that plastic skirt off and has been driving it that way ever since.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Take it out and replace it later.  If you do not know how, see a mechanic.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

It actually doesn't NEED an underbelly cover AT ALL.

• 2 months ago

Take it to a local mechanic. If you're lucky, it was just the heat shield by the catalytic converter.

• Yoshitatsu2 months agoReport

It was a plastic material. So I doubt it was a heat shield 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Car make matters.  Go to a mechanic shop. He can see right away and maybe tighten a bolt or a spot of welding and it is solid again.  

-I mean, I have balls for a reason.  And I wear underwear to protect them for a reason.  So, if you knocked your balls off half kiltered, maybe you would want to see if they are important to you?

• 2 months ago

Probably it was designed to take a beating.....and it did.  Everything above it should be safe.

• Rick
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

everything important is purposely put up out of the way ...................

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.