Do water shut offs stop waterflow completely or feedback to the source? If the shut off is stopping the water is it harming the pressure?

I want to install a watershut off right before my shower head. The shower head keeps running hot water even when the handle is off (stem issue) and the shut off coming from the waterheater is turned (valve issue there).

The stem is stuck and I cant figure out the valve at the heater without turning the water off to the house and potientially damaging something.

So until I can get a plumber out/afford a plumber I think this is the best solution to stop the water flowing, but again I dont want to do it if I risk bursting a pipe or something.

a handyman can probably replace the shower stem. and a lot cheaper than a plumber.

If the leak is not really bad, go ahead.  Install a quarter turn valve. 

You need to fix the valve you have. If you can't do that, you won't be able to properly install another cutoff either.

Get a plumber out there.  You won't burst a pipe as the water pressure is always in the pipes.  I tried to follow what you were saying but got lost.  2 things got to be fixed at least.

Say it off valves just stop the water flow at that point. They don't cause any pressure build up. Having said that though, you've dreamed up a bizarre solution. Just repair or replace the leaky parts. Don't add unnecessary parts. 

• Edwena

You would be much better off to repair/replace the leaky valve. You seem to have some misunderstanding of how the system works, so you need some help. Get a plumber.

Shutting off a valve shouldn't cause pipes to burst, and the hot water tank should have a pressure relief valve to protect it.

I'm having a hard time understanding the exact problem (sounds like 2 valves that aren't working?)

You could always shut off the water at the point of entry to your house, drain the hot water tank, and put the valve where you wanted as a last resort, if I'm understanding you correctly.

• Richard2 months agoReport

Well the water continues to flow past the shut off valve that leads from my water heater to my shower. Then on top of that, the stem/cartiage for the hot water handle is letting that water through so the shower always runs a bit. Thats why I want to put a shutoff before the shower head.