Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

How do I feel with family that don’t understand my mental illness?

Hello, I have had generalized anxiety disorder seemingly my whole life. My grandmother is very anxious, my mother not so much, but she can become anxious. Within these past two years, my final years of high school and starting college, it has become increasingly worse. In May of 2019 I got diagnosed with GAD and have started therapy. I have tried numerous medication and have developed coping skills, but my anxiety is very severe. I got my first job over the summer as a waitress and I was not anticipating having a panic attack several times a week AT my job. I would break down crying hysterically, hyperventilating, having heart palpitations, and being unable to stop. I couldn’t stop it myself and needed to have help calming me down. It was horrible and they understood, but felt sorry for me. Now I am afraid to get a job in fear of going though all of that all over again. My grandfather does not seem to understand my fears. I spent an hour yesterday obsessing over the smallest bug ever for Christ’s sake. He told me you have to get over it and that I can’t keep being like this. Obviously it is not that simple, I know it’s a life long process to grasp my anxieties. How would you handle this situation?

This is a brain disorder that has emerged more and more in modern times. Older generations did not experience it to the degree of younger people. My personal thoughts are that this has become a problem due to our fast-paced society that wasn't evident in years gone by. We are hyped up for so many things these days and there is a lot of pressure on us to perform well. Our cell phones and electronic devices don't help us, but make it worse. The way to deal with anxiety is to accept it and commit to willingly not fighting it -- what you resist, persists. Just acknowledge it and educate those around you, so they know it is not something we just get over. I would recommend the book, "The Happiness Trap" or "The Illustrated Happiness Trap" by Russ Harris and Bev Aisbett (2014).

Source(s): I'm a therapist
    • baby Ey

performance anxiety has always been a thing. what's new is the loss of higher values be it loyalty to the elders, marriage/children, spirituality, a trade, or the nation.

haven't you ever wondered how the generation of your Grandmother got by with high Anxiety?  Hint: they were forced to face their fears and came out strong for it, they learned pain is a part of life, not something to be feared. They knew that risk equates to potential reward. They knew you never really fail until you refuse to get back up and try something new. They also knew that there is no dignity in having the Government, Psychics, Parents, or Therapists take over responsibility for the hard choices in your life, there is, however, dignity in forging your own niche despite hardship.