How do men feel about getting engaged to their other half? ?

Hi guys, my boyfriend of two years proposed to me on Valentine’s Day! We have both spoke about getting engaged married quite regularly before hand, and have been living together over a year. Anyway, now I have the ring the excitement has sort of weared down. I asked him if he was happy with getting engaged and he said yeah of course, I do things because I want to but it’s not something crazy special, that’s changing my life.. because I felt married before I gave you the ring. The ring is just showing everyone where engaged but otherwise it’s not changing my feelings. My question is do all men kind of feel normal after their engaged? I felt a little upset first when he said it’s not crazy special.. but he has explained to me he means it’s a special day, but it’s not something crazy special changing his life, because he already felt that way about me long time ago...

"All men" have DIFFERENT reactions to getting engaged. Besides, what difference does it make if the answer is yes? Are you going to stop feeling upset just because some stranger tells you, Yes all men feel normal after "their engaged"???

You're living together....that changes everything about an engagement.

If you held out until you were married he'd be excited to that point.

I know guys don't put a lot of fuzzy warm feelings where girls think it matters.....bottom line his life changed when you moved in.....engagement & marriage won't change what's happening now.

The whole "getting engaged" thing was surely a lot more "exciting" back when couples didn't live together nor even have a sexual relationship prior to marriage. So in a way he's right that this is just a necessary milestone to get you to the married couple you hope to be someday. The best attitude about this I ever witnessed was a coworker asked "Are you excited about your wedding?". Her answer was, "I'm excited about spending the rest of my life with him". So keep the emphasis on the life you want to share together and don't get too amped about the ceremony and party that is the wedding. That's just one day out of the many we all hope you'll share with this man.

He mis-spoke you may have to forgive him... maybe he has never been engaged before or has he...I believe that hurt because I wouldn't like it at all.

It is a bit weird that he didn't know saying that would/could get a reaction, but overall I wouldn't be mad at him. I haven't been engaged, but based on what he said he feels, it is probably fine... I would describe marriage as life changing though, simply due to paper work, preparations, the government being involved (and presumably people's religions)...

Anyways good luck with everything.

• GB

Maybe I am cynical, but I would be more worried that he says he 'feels married' than about not being 'crazy special'.  I know a man who complains that he and his girlfriend were quite happy just living together, but her mum pushed them into getting married. 

'But you said you were engaged, which means you intended to marry? ' I said.  Apparently not.  It was to make  cohabiting 'more respectable' and an excuse for the woman to have a diamond ring.  Don't be surprised if you start talking about weddings he says, 'but you are my common-law wife. We don't need a piece of paper.'

• He does want a wedding but I guess deep down he believes love transcends a peice of paper and a ring. But he’s not against getting married he does want children with me and a marriage. I guess he doesn’t see it as now because of this we start our life. I get your point tho. 

I really don't know what the point of this is. You're engaged.... and after you're married you are committed to each other in a legal and binding contract. Just living together? You can up and leave anytime you want and end it without attorneys and the Courts involved. There's part of the difference.

I don’t get why you think what other men think so how has an influence on YOUR relationship.

There is no “what all other men think.” Every single person on Earth is different. Plus, nobody is a mind reader and therefore we can’t tell you what other people think.

If you want to know why the guy you’ve promised to marry is thinking, ask HIM. Not strangers. If you can’t manage this, then accepting his proposal was a huge mistake.

If you two have been in this for a long time... then an engagement and ring are usually followed with a date decided for the marriage. See if you two can set a date for the wedding. He might "feel married", but he's not married.

• history

As I mentioned, "If you two have been in this for a long time". I absolutely do not believe in rushed weddings. My husband and I knew each other well for 5 years before we wed. We wed 5 weeks after our engagement. Has worked for 32 years so far. 

holy fck valentines day was literally 2 days ago and the excitement has already "weared down"?? good luck with the marriage then.....

no, sweetie, it doesn't work like that. you were not "basically engaged" before you were engaged. i wonder how old you are.

• Jerry

You're not "really" engaged until you've had at least a year of your future in-laws expecting you to be "part of the family for real, irksome responsibilities, demonic relatives, and all.