Anonymous

When to apply for my next job ?

I’m working a part time job right now while I’m in college, but I’ve been looking around and at the end of the semester I want to start a new job, more in line with my career. Should I apply now, or wait until end of semester? I want to be at my other job until May and hopefully start my new job by mid summer. 

***stay at my other job until END OF May, new job by mid summer 

• Shay

Internships - apply early.

If you are just looking for a different job, don't start applying until about one month before the date you intend to change jobs.  Also, be prepared to change jobs a little early  if one comes up sooner than expected.  Typically, the interview and vetting process for most companies will take about one month.

So, about May 15th would be the earliest to apply if you don't want to start the job until June or July.

• Kyle

you should look to your school for help.  i would think most have internship programs you can work with.  some may even take intern jobs as college credit if they are in your field of study.  talk to a counselor or even a professor in your major for advice.  everyone's different on their timeline for applications.  but i also think most would have a place to put a start date of when you're available.  so you can say you'd like to start when the semester is over.  

again, talk with a counselor or professor in your major.  

it's good you want internships.  plenty fields of work need education AND relevant work for even some entry level jobs in their industries.  and some places will hire you back full time after you graduate college too.  some do offer paying internships as well.  if you're on good relations with your teachers, you can ask them for references when applying.  get their preferred contact info.

• liz2 months agoReport

Thank you, I’ll look into it!

• Judy

Unless the new jobs you're applying for are internships, it's too early to apply for a job you don't want to start until mid-summer.

If they'll let you apply, then its often the sooner the better. With some places they give out the jobs first come, first to get the job if the applicant is qualified and acceptable. So, no harm asking if you can apply now, though they may say to wait until xxxx date.

I think it's up to you honestly. The place where I work at it seems like everybody (or almost everybody) is on the same boat. From managers, general managers to crew members it seems like they all have an understanding that they don't want to do this for life and sometimes are unafraid of sharing secrets with each other like when they plan to quit or say get a new job that offers a higher pay. This gives me hope that these people can become friends because that is what friends are supposed to do. If it were just a regular workplace environment then nobody would talk to each other about their plans, goals and where they are moving to next. It really instilled in me a sense of closeness and bond. Like wow, this person really trusted me with telling me what they want to do next? This has kept me from quitting. It seems like everybody is here for their own purposes, but they aren't trying to be a two face who backstabs you. At least, not anymore. I guess I "fit in".

• Steve2 months agoReport

I have tried to give myself reasons to find a new job, but I still haven't. I could just be lazy, but right now I don't feel finding a new job is a fair idea to the people around me. I have become quite a staple to the team. Until I really feel like my heart truly desires something else, I'm staying

• God

There is nothing wrong with applying now before everyone else does.  Impress on the prospective employers that you can't start working until after the semester.  Good luck!

Create your own job landscaping house cleaning dog walking painting window washing baby sitter tutor computer repair massage