Brian asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Connection Between General Anesthesia and Depression/Anxiety?

Would someone be able to share any information on this topic? I just an my appendix out last week and ever since the day after the surgery I feel mentally altered and extremely depressed and anxious. It's all freefloating - just there, and not about anything in particular.

Do you think this is a reaction to the anesthesia and how do I go back to my old self? I still can't eat anything

Are you taking antibiotics? (The anesthesia has left your system). Antibiotics make me depressed, anxious or both. They also ruin my appetite. Antibiotics screw up your intestinal flora, causing side effects including mood swings.  

• Tavy

Nothing to do with it, except you had a big operation and your body takes time to recover.

Sounds like health anxiety to me. Nothing to do with anaesthesia. Anxiety and depression often come hand in hand.