Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 5 months ago

Do you pay for a tv licence?

• C

Nope.  I've not paid the TV licence for a good 15 years or so.  Shocked?  

The thing is I've not watched tv for years and years.  I fell out of the habit when I travelled a lot for work.  When I was home I found the tv unbearable.  Presenters are so shouty, the news tone so apocalyptical with little discrimination between the urgent and playground gossip.  The few shows I like I support by buying from official sources.

I've always paid the licence when I've lived in households with tvs even though I've never been a big watcher.  I've never resented it.  My attitude to the licence changed after I got divorced.  I didn't see the point in buying a new telly and wrote to the licencing people.  They came round for an inspection which I was fine with.  At the time they told me that I'd not be contacted again for at least two years.   That's not what happened....

I seem to've been put on some sort of list and inspectors started turning up every few WEEKS, once twice in the same week!  I wrote to complain and got a lot of polite nonsense back and then one day I snapped when two strange blokes (they travel in pairs up here for "safety") decided to have an impromptu fashion critique of my knickers on the clothes horse and I thought to myself, I'm a pretty unflappable sort but this isn't on.  What if I were timid, maybe had fled some terrible situation and home was the only place I felt safe?  Why should a single woman have to put up with two bailiff-looking types in her bedroom having a bit of lad's banter over her underwear whilst ostensibly looking for a secreted TV?  I kicked them out and wrote to TV Licencing informing them that they will never set foot in my home again without a warrant, the police, and a witness of my choosing.

They tried it on for about 18 months after that.  Now nobody comes round anymore.  The dire auto-generated letters go straight into the shredder.  I've become very well informed on how TV Licensing works (it's not the BBC, even though it funds the BBC and the BBC won the tender to enforce it - this is in no way a mess s/ ) and what the criteria for not requiring one are.  Guess what?  No warrant has ever been forthcoming.  They only go after perceived soft targets.

The sad thing is if I hadn't had such an awful experience I might have voluntarily paid it anyways in order to support the parts of the Beeb I do like but I will not give into the TVLA.

yes, but no idea why after we see the same films over and over again and rubbish tv shows .

oh hang on , not going out is not bad and Dr who .

tv is mostly rubbish these days and I have seen Columbo films over 100 times now and sink the Bismarck for the past  three weeks  and back to the future and home alone hundreds of times. 

AT Christmas I play games on my games console because the tv is rubbish .

• Zheia

Shhhh! That's my secret.

What is a tv license?

I didn't when I was on my own but now I have a girlfriend that might get scared of them so I just got a licence so they don't knock and bother her. They don't bother me, I just slammed the door on them but she might let them in and doesn't like confrontation as much as me.

Yes of course i do, dont you?

Yes..................

I don't need to as I live in sheltered accommodation and am covered by there's. But I am still waiting for a refund from them that they have owed me for over a year now.

Yes against my better judgment.

No, but I will pay for sex

No, and I get away with it. Just don't let them in.