Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 2 months ago

Have you ever been in a car accident where other driver lied?

What happened? I was struck by this crazy woman who then she lied to the cop, witnesses and insurance companies. Her insurer denied my claim because of her lies. So I just showed them my dashcam video of her hitting me and they paid up the next day!

Always, ALWAYS, call thew cops & before they arrive, ask other drivers to be witness. Even one will make a difference.

Once, I was at a light & the car in front hadn't moved yet. The car behind me hit my bumper ($275) & caused cracks. He said that he could repair it. I said, no, I need your license & insurance. He didn't do that until a cop arrived. He told the cop that I stopped short. The cop said, that doesn't matter. You hit him in  the rear & here's a ticket for driving too close. The next day, I had my car in a repair shop & his paid.

Your dash cam is a very good idea.

Oh hell yeah.  Almost everybody has.  You might as well ask if anyone has ever had an itchy foot.

My experience really, I mean really, cheesed me off.  I was a passenger in my wife's vehicle (she was my girlfriend at the time), and the other idiot ran a solid red at 70 kmh smack into the passenger side of her vehicle.  No brakes, no attempt to swerve, just full throttle at 90 degrees.  When the cops showed up, I was super confident the accident was going to be 100% the idiot's fault.

Then he friggin' lied.  He told the cops he had a green light, and my old lady must have ran the red.  When I found out that I didn't count as a witness, I was blasted livid.  I was right there and saw the whole thing, and would have gladly given a witness statement, but I didn't count as an independent witness.  Only independent witnesses count, and I was not independent.

Not because I was screwing one of the drivers (which I was), not because I was the insurance broker for one of the vehicles (which I was), but because I was in one of the involved vehicles.  Because I was sitting in the passenger seat, I didn't count as a truly independent witness to the crash and therefore could not possibly be unbiased.  I ran out of dirty words and started naming off diseases, just because they sound really offensive.

But it happens all the time.  Even when people don't outright lie, they still tell a version of the story that makes them look as innocent as possible.  They'll say the driver in front of them slammed on their brakes for no reason at all.  Or they'll say the other vehicle came out of nowhere, as if vehicles randomly falling out of the sky is a normal thing.  If I had a nickel for every time I heard those excuses while taking accident reports, I'd have at least eight bucks and change.

• May

Good for you.

What is your question ?

Yup, never once came across an honest American in the smallest of fender benders. Some lowlifes think they can steal huge amounts of money from the insurance companies even if the car was barely touched. Like the social welfare system, they keep trying to get something for nothing.

Yes, I have.  Thanks for sharing.

Interesting 😉       

Bogus story.  How come you had to wait for your claim to be denied when you had a dashcam video?  You should have immediately showed it to the police. 

• Never

So many lying trolls.