Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsRunning · 1 month ago

Is it normal to goto the bathroom while running?

I run 2 hours every day and I have to stop to use the bathroom 2-3 times. Is this normal?

I am worried I won't be able to finish a marathon cause I have to use the bathroom all the way.

• .

It's not abnormal to stop and use the toilet, especially if you are hydrating a lot and not sweating it all back out. FYI, a marathon will have port-o-lets along the route for that very reason (may runners take 5 hrs or more to travel that distance). 

It can be.

When exercising, the body burns carbohydrate, fat, and protein for energy. Burning any of these produces carbon dioxide and water. In addition, burning protein causes  urea production. You lose CO2 and water when you exhale, lose water and some electrolytes when you sweat, and lose water, urea, and electrolytes in your urine.

When you run in cold weather, you sweat less, so may need to urinate more.

You may be over-hydrating. For decades, those doing long runs were advised to "pre-hydrate. Drink ahead of thirst" to prevent dehydration and stay safe. One result of following this advice is a frequent need to urinate.

But, that's under question.  In 2012, Tim Noakes, MD, DSc, published a book saying that is actually bad advice, potentially dangerous, and possibly fatal. He advises runners drink according to their thirst.  However, I don't know if Noakes' claims have been reviewed by other scientists.

If you run a marathon, you can expect several port-a-potties along the course. You might want to review a course map to determine their locations before the marathon,  or even to help you decide which marathons to enter. If the maps don't show port-a-potty locations, contact the race organizers.

Source(s): Noakes, Timothy D. "Waterlogged: The Serious Problem of Overhydration in Endurance Sports", Human Kinetics, 2012.
  • Wilma

2 or 3 times in two hours? No, you should be able to hold it if you go before the race.