Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 5 months ago

If car insurance were cheaper do you think hit and runs will decrease ?

Car insurance for a young driver can range from 700-900 a month. Someone who doesn’t have this but has a car drives daily. Some causes accidents which results in hit and run because the person doesn’t want to go to jail and they don’t have insurance. But if everyone had insurance for a reasonable price don’t you think hit and run like crimes will decrease ? If so why won’t they do anything about it ?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

No, I don't think so. Young guys will drive recklessly because that's "Cool". I've known a few that make turns without stopping & against on coming traffic. They don't want to stop. I've known one that likes to balance on two wheels & try to go 80 on a residential street. If you want insurance to go down, the behavior must change. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 5 months ago

Your idea of reasonable is very different than what insurance research has confirmed, just so you know.  Here's your problem...

Insurance isn't a public service, it's a money making business.  Insurance companies need to have enough cash on hand to cover all the accidents that they insure this year, plus the greedy buggers want to make a profit on top of that.  They charge people for coverage based on that person's risk level, and they have mountains of statistics about people's risk levels.  Those who pose a higher crash risk (ie: young people, inexperienced people, people with lousy records) are charged more.  People who have a long record of cowardly driving are charged less.  It's a numbers game.

When people drive uninsured because insurance costs too much, most of those people believe $100 a month still costs too much.  It's not like most of those people would suddenly start following the law just because it costs less than it cost yesterday.  The problem isn't the cost of insurance, the problem is people who think driving is a right instead of a privilege.

• 5 months ago

No one on the history of Earth pays 700-900 a month for insurance. That's pure BS.

• May
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

No, I do not. ...............

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • F
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Much as I hate paying my insurnace, I do appreciate insurance companies are not charities and have to make a profit. They won't do that if they let high risk drivers have cheap insurance. You pay high insurance because they think there's a high chance of you makeing a claim. If you have just started driving, you cannot prove otherwise.

• 5 months ago

so ..lets pretend you own an insurance company ..in the uk ..only 5% of drivers are 17-24 ..yet are involved in 20% of death crashes ...in fact a girl 17-24 is more likely to die in a car accident where the driver is male 17-24 than ANY form of medical illness ..the cost to insurance companies of drivers involved in a death crash age 25-75 average £1.000.000 ..for 17-24 its £5.000.000+   still want to give them cheap insurance?..after all ..its your company...here we average 5 deaths a day ...in america its 100+

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I never paid that much in my life.

• 5 months ago

Car insurance for young drivers is high due to the number of accidents they have. They only way to lower the insurance is to lower the accidents.

A certain percentage of accidents will be hit & runs, reducing insurance won't make any difference to that number.

• 5 months ago

1) Not wanting to go to jail for not having insurance is not why hit and run happens. If a person doesn't have insurance and has an accident, and they DON'T hit and run, then they don't go to jail in most states. (Depending on the state, they pay a fine, lose their car, lose their license, or two or all of these.) But if they DO hit and run, then they go to jail. And reading the questions here from drivers who hit and ran, it was because of fear or panic, not to avoid jail.

2) If the price of insurance was less for everyone, then the insurance companies would lose money and go out of business, so no one would have insurance.

• Anton
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Stupid, ain'tcha?  You do not understand insurance.  If you mandated the insurance companies to cover young drivers cheaply, they would go out of business.  The solution is not jail, but following the U.S. Constitution, Amendment 13, Section 1:

" ...  involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States.... "

-- which means you if you are driving illegally, you are owned.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.