promotion image of download ymail app

Upper Right Abdominal Pain?

10 months ago, I began having minor pains in my upper right quadrant accompanied by severe tenderness. Omeprazole was subscribed which did not work and since then ongoing tests have been undertaken. 

Basically, my specialist has undertaken various blood tests including an endoscopy, colonoscopy and MRI. Apparently, all investigations have concluded no serious issues and the matter has been left, which is incredibly frustrating.

The pain arises randomly and can be dormant for a while. However, the tenderness is always there and appears to be made worse after consuming alcohol, eating large / fatty foods or exercise.

 Ultimately, I can put up without drinking alcohol frequently; however, the real issue is running. I am very fit and run all the time. I have noticed that, due to the tenderness, it is causing stitches and making me feel very sick whilst / after running which I never used to have. In addition, if I press down on the upper right area it hurts and makes me feel nauseas.

My specialist considers it may be muscular related but when I tense my abdomen and press on that area, there is no pain? Mostly due to the muscular wall stopping me touching the organs behind.

I am no doctor and appreciate everything my specialist has done. But this is definitely a problem and albeit it may not be serious, I can’t carry on with my usual lifestyle until it’s resolved.

Any suggestions or professional advice would be highly appreciated!

2 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    It sounds like the Gallbladder/Pancreas-related issue to me as well.  But you've had an MRI scan which should have shown up gallstones and blood tests should have indicated inflammation. Maybe Cholecystitis (inflammation/blockage of the Common Bile Duct) if the pain persists for more than 6 hours.

    However, much simpler conditions may be responsible including: gas build up (take medications like Deflatine with Simeticone in them). Possible Hiatus Hernia which, again should have easily been seen with the tests. Then there could be 'torn' muscles or a fractured rib.  Try eating a banana a day to help if it's muscle cramp that's happening. 

    Follow your doctor's advice and be polite but persistent until you can get a diagnosis that fits and treatment that works for the actual condition.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Rick B
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Sounds like a gallbladder issue to me. Have you had a hidascan? I assume you are seeing a gastroenterologist? When you mention fatty foods, they should immediately think of gallbladder.

    • Aaron1 month agoReport

      An ultrasound was arranged of the gallbladder but nothing was detected. No hidascan has been proposed unfortunately and yes, the specialist is a gastroenterologist. It appears to be fatty foods or large proportion of foods which makes the tenderness worse, in addition to alcohol and exercise. 

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.