Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

Does Linux computers actually crash or not?

so i saw this one video once made by a guy by the name of ''Alex H''. the video in question was a hate video directed to Microsoft, and that this guy hates just anything with Microsoft to do with for some reason.

The whole point of this question is that one of his points used in his very informative video was that ''Windows computers crash, while Linux computers don't''.

My question is, do Linux computer crash or not?

ANY operating system can crash.  Some are less likely to crash than others.  Windows is more stable now than it was ten years ago.  But UNIX variants can crash.  Heck, even the OpenVMS O/S, one of the most stable ever made, would crash under the right circumstances.

• Just Wondering0001

Going even further back, even the punch-card types of OS had crashes.

• Steven

Yes, it can crash, if any file missing, My Linux system also crashed and loost all data, but Linux is better then window system.  

• Father of Lies

You were doing something wrong if you lost all data. 

Linux computers do crash but not as often as Windows computers. Linux computers can handle more tasks at a time as compared to windows which makes them reliable. 

Hi. Simply put - all computers eventually crash.

The majority of Windows problems are caused by viruses / malware or failing / incompatible hardware.

The majority of linux crashes are trying to do too many things at once on the system. I've had a few reboots in the past couple months, but they were because I'm running from a live DVDR that's open session for saving the persistence files, instead of a full installation, & sometimes the software I'm using crashes without a decent swap area.

But the second I reboot, everything's completely functional again. NOT usually an option from most Windows crashes.

G'Luck!!!

Had it not been for Bill Gates and Microsoft we would probably still be using old 8 bit machines! People don't like successful innovating companies that get a lot of attention..

The main reason people use Linux is because it is free of charge! I have installed and tried it once maybe twice? It is a decent and stable operating system that has a big fan base. But I didn't and don't care for it! Just because an operating system is free of charge doesn't make it better.. I have installs for Windows XP, Windows 7 Pro, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 Pro and rarely ever had a system crash/BSOD

I do know one thing about the later versions (7-10) they are sophisticated operating systems that don't fare well on junk hardware!

If you are going to run Windows 8+ on junk hardware then you're going to get junk hardware results! All operating systems can have a incompatibility with the hardware it runs on and none are immune to errors caused by constantly heating up while running and cooling off when the system is shut down!

• keerok

In the years I have used Linux, I have already witnessed a number of crashes, all related to hardware failure, and completely not the fault of Linux. This happens because I am able to leave Linux machines running for weeks without turning off and since I live in a hot tropical country, overheating is a major problem. Overall, Linux is great. My old secondhand computers aren't. Now that I have switched to Dell desktops, hardware failures have lessened. It was a case of blown capacitors which was promptly replaced so the dead PC got resurrected in no time at all, happily running Linux again.

Windows? XP was great, 7 is tolerable, 8 maybe, 10 no-way. With win10, it's like you don't own your computer anymore. There's always some program which you din't start yourself doing something in the background. Always!

All computers can crash, but computers running Linux tend to crash much less.

Yes, all computers can crash, regardless of their OS. Crashes on Linux aren't as common as on Windows, but they're not unheard of. I have a hybrid graphics laptop and on the first Linux boot the entire system froze at the login screen due to some bugs in the video driver (it was either Nvidia or Intel).

Every system can crash. Linux publishes a list of bugs that need fixing. The number of crashes that occur comparatively might be debatable, I don't have any recent stats on that. About 20 years ago, there were more bugs in Linux than in Windows, but they were all being actively worked on and fixed quickly.

Typically, nowadays, Linux is by far the most used server operating system around. It got to that level due to its relative reliability, and ability stay running without needing a reboot. Windows doesn't come close to that level of reliability in a server environment, and is falling way behind in usage. However, server environment reliability doesn't equate to individual user reliability, and I think most people will not find much reliability differences at the personal computer level.

I hear and read a lot of whining about bugs in Windows 10.  I haven't seen a lot of bugs myself.  But nobody whines about bugs in Linux.  Linux can't do as much either, but it works just great for most thing.  Linux might be a little more reliable than Windows, but Windows is pretty good.

• justgetitright

@Pete -- You can run some windows programs on Linux if you install and use WINE. You can not run every windows program but to say you CAN'T is wrong.