I have extremely loud neighbors, what else can be done?

About two months ago, we had some neighbors move in above us. They bang, drop objects, walk constantly, etc. and the noises are horrendous. Tonight, we heard the neighbors doing this for 4 hours straight. It was so bad that we couldn't concentrate or enjoy our weekend. This is pretty much every weekend. I saw the neighbors walking down the stairs tonight so I opened the door, and saw the two idiot neighbors. I gave both of them the dirtiest look and I let my front door go and kind of slam. 

They were leaving and I heard them outside saying "Excuse me. Excuse me. If you have a problem, you can knock on our door and just tell us." They then left. They didn't even bother to knock on our door but decided to just yell that out near our door. They seem like complete attitudinal troublemakers. When they got back, they went upstairs and started making noise a little again.

An email was sent to the manager already but it seems like that didn't work. What else can be done?

Take your neighbor''s advise and talk to them about how loud and disruptive they are. Explain that this building has no soundproofing or insulation in the floors, walls or ceiling and that you can hear their every footstep and conversation. 

Your evil eye and slamming the door was not the best way to react to them.

call the police and ask them what you can do if the manager will do nothing. people should understand not to make so much noise when people live under you

you could try talking to the police about it

Your new neighbors are right!  All of us normal people don't possess your telepathic powers so rely upon actual communication to understand a problem exists.  What you should have done is politely knock on their door to introduce yourself and invite one down to your apartment so they can hear everything you hear when they are in their unit.  And then switch with the other roommate so he can hear.  They likely have no idea what you can and can't hear and you have never told them.  They can't be considerate to you without knowing the problem exists.

What you have done is passive aggressively shown yourself to be a disrespectful neighbor unwilling to talk.  It is common to talk through a door that was just slammed in your face.

Good luck with your email to the manager/landlord.  There is just one problem … they don't exist to serve as the mediator between tenants.  As an adult that is your issue to overcome.

What can you do now?  Exactly the same thing you should have done in the beginning but now, you should probably bake some neighborly cookies to help get past the unfriendly encounter of the past.  Good Luck.

• linkus86

Sometimes there is nothing you can do but fulfill your lease and move.  Some buildings are built in a manner that transfers sounds from normal use.  And because the neighbors are not breaking any noise ordinances, your hands are tied.

• sarah

Maybe you could move to another apartment?

• Gert

You should move.

• ?

Sounds like the problem is insufficent soundproofing between floors. Its not like they can avoid walking. You just have to learn to live with it

be louder than they are

• Kamaljot2 months agoReport

thats doesnt always work, ive tried that and my neighbors get even louder and do it more on purpose

• Jamey

Slamming doors and dirty looks won't work, as you've discovered. Just speak to them in a reasonable manner with politeness, and tell them what is happening.

• owlxxeyes2 months agoReport

It definitely did the trick, they haven't made much noise all night

move out