Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 2 months ago

Will my son qualify for ssi benefits?

My son receives ssi benefits for his condition. We are a family of 6 my husband is currently the only one working making around 2500 monthly and my son qualifies for the full state benefit.  I will soon start working and that monthly income will boost to 4500 between the both of us.  Does anyone have experience with ssi that can let me know if my son will still qualify for ssi benefits?

• Judith

No idea.  Income is deemed from parent to eligible child (you to your son on SSI).  You would need to contact SS to see what impact your increased income would have on his entitlement.

BTW, SSI is a federal program - not a state program. Rules and regs are the same nationwide as are benefit amounts and the way they are computed.

NOTE:  There was a deeming worksheet online but I don't think there is one for 2020.  Query "SSI Deeming Worksheet from Ineligible Parent(s) to Eligible Child" and something should come up which you can use.  My guess is that the increase in your income MIGHT reduce his SSI benefit but not eliminate it.

I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.

• Rick B

A family of 6 living on 54,000 is below the poverty line.

• David2 months agoReport

Ok but that doesn’t answer my question...