Why is insulin so expensive? can you go long without?

My insurance changed their policy recently to no longer cover my sons insulin. How is that even legal? they deem it unnecessary? Obviously I have not told him this and had to use our vacation funds to pay for his drugs, but even that's out now I cant keep paying this. How long could my son go without insulin? and why is it so much? help

I don't know where I live, insulin is free. But it costs very cheap in pharmacies.

• Roy2 months agoReport

I hope you found your way home 

I know how it feels having to pay to pay, for expensive medicine, for myself. At least I am not an @$$whole like you who doesn't know how to prioritize. You probably think a vacation is more important than your kid's health. I feel bad, for your kid knowing that he has you as his father.

You are a terrible father. You don't need a vacation. You want a vacation. There is a difference between need, and want. Your son needs insulin, so you buy it, for him even if that means sacrificing your vacation, so STOP COMPLAINING.

If I had a son then I would be trying to teach him what I know, and homeschooling him too, and working, and doing chores.

Maybe I would be able to prepare my own son, and that's if I had one, for the workforce at a young age. The problem I am seeing with you, and your son is your son is probably not quickly making progress with his studies, so the longer he takes then the more money you are going to have to spend on his drugs.

You said you can't keep on paying, for this, so what are you going to do about it???

• Roy2 months agoReport

Sorry you can't read, wish your father helped with that 

• Andy C

A day, perhaps two.

Welcome to America!

The most backwards country that claims to be the pinnacle of the 1st world countries yet has 3rd world health care.

Some states are actually limiting the monthly cost of insulin bc people think that they can ration it and people are dying.

Obamacare covered insulin needs, but the Republican Congress gutted the bill in order to make it fail...and it still benefited most.

Good thing that Trump put a stop to socialized medicine, huh?

Source(s): If you want better, cheaper healthcare, vote how you wish, but DON'T vote Republican.
  • Shay

A type 1 diabetic CAN NOT LIVE without insulin.

It is not a situation of "how long" or "how many doses can be skipped" - a type 1 diabetic without insulin WILL HAVE MAJOR COMPLICATIONS.

You can check into prescription assistance programs to help cover the cost of the insulin.  These programs are usually set up by the pharmaceutical companies as patient assistance programs. You would need to know what pharmaceutical company produces the brand of insulin your son uses and then check to see if you qualify for their assistance program if they have one.  These programs are based on household size and income but it is much easier to qualify for these programs than for actual welfare.  The income standard is much higher than welfare standards.  

If they don't have one, your doctor may be able to switch your son to a brand of insulin that does have an assistance program or to a brand of insulin that is a little cheaper in the pharmacy.

Many pharmacies also honor the "Good RX discounts" that are available online.  You can look up your son's exact medication and get a listing of what the discounted cost would be at each pharmacy in your area.    https://www.goodrx.com/

Insulin is an absolutely critical hormone for the normal functioning of muscle and nerve cells. Too little plunges people into a coma, which can easily become lethal if medical attention is given pronto. What the insurance companies are doing is shameful. My advice is call your doctor, a social worker, and your local newspaper.

there might be programs out there that help with that, ive had 5 surgeries without health ins and one is the indigent care program, ask your doctor about it

• Roy2 months agoReport

Im glad to see you fixed your keyboard 

it's mainly a supply and demand problem combined with poor insurance plans and a lack of political will to deal with greedy pharm oligopolies. real insulin is hard to make and can only be made in relatively small quantities but the analogs (equivalent to generic versions) work just as well, you don't need actual insulin. 

since you have a legit prescription you can probably also source directly from overseas pharmacies for a 90% discount off US prices.