promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Does trickle down economics work? How about the Washington consensus? Does that work?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, it does. A lot of people don't understand how it does though (read some of your answers, for example). The goal of supply side economics ("trickle down" economics) is to make it cheaper to produce goods. It's not just about tax cuts for both producers and consumers but also about other things like reduction of regulations and cuts in government spending. When businesses have more money to work with, they expand, which leads to job creation. More jobs means higher wages if the number of potential workers in a nation drops. Tax cuts for the rich is also a good thing because it means they have more money to invest with and to put into banks. A lot of people (especially those on the left) don't understand that this helps the economy also. Banks use the money to give out loans; businesses who receive more investments in the stock market can use it to expand their business.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

I always figured it did.  My parents are lower middle class.  But they encouraged their children to go to college & get an education.  I got a comp sci degree & now work in the computer industry for a 100k salary (with great benefits).  I make double/triple more than my parents ever did.  Maybe I'm an exception, but I doubt it.  

Corporations make more money, they hire people & give raises.  This idea that wealth & well being flows from the government is laughable.  The only way government gets money is by taxing the people.  And sooner or later, the people are taxed out.  What then??  

• 2 months ago

So-called trickle-down is nonsense. The wealth actually rushes up to the wealthy.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Trickle down? No, giving money to people who have no need to spend it does not stimulate the economy

as to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Consensus

it does what we leftists have always said it would. It increases profits of big companies in the short run, but doesn't do much for the poor or the working class.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Oiy
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

It has been working in terms of absolute, but not relative. The slogan that to have the cake first, then it can be divided. Some guys are still relatively poor, but richer than the middle class in Nigeria. The Washington consensus which focus on moderate and free economic policy in the world supported by the international organization has been the main caused of relative poverty and environmental degradation instead. The worse is the fair and free country like the US which has been the locomotive for decads is in a deficit situation and degradation. It has to stop right now.

• 2 months ago

The trickle down economics has always been there we call it Medicare and it simple the fact all workers pay into a Government system that will care for the worker that can't work.when old.....even help bury ya....By Trump changing the tax laws for the rich has brought in way more jobs with the money that was giving back.... It is like the SS increase we had lately was and increase of 1.9 % to pay for the increase cost to have the service......so the tax change, gave the rich money but it was to pay for the hiring of new workers......It worked for unemployment seems to be lower......

• 2 months ago

No it doesn't work.

• 2 months ago

Trickle down is the false economic notion that if the rich get billions, average workers might see a dime.

The Washington Consensus refers to a set of free-market economic policies supported by prominent financial institutions such as the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, and the U.S. Treasury. A British economist named John Williamson coined the term Washington Consensus in 1989.

Attachment image
  • Dze
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

it doesnt describe how it actually works so its misleading but yeah, if you relax on corporations the workers generally benefit, we saw the effects almost immediately when obingo was gone and trump policy was implemented .. im sure most places actually had meetings describing the new policies the company would adopt, wage increases, hiring and hours etc ....

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.